Draft Profile: BioJL Skinner attended Point Loma High School and was rated a 3-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.860, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, Skinner opted to join Boise State.
In 2019 as a freshman Skinner saw action in 9 games and played a total of 89 snaps at Safety for the Broncos. He recorded only 5 tackles, no assists, while adding no stops. In coverage Skinner notched up 2 pass break ups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 106.8.
As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 6 games and logged 402 snaps for the Broncos. He made 31 tackles, 6 assists, and had 12 stops. In coverage he totaled one pass break up, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 105.6.
In 2021 as a junior Skinner played in 12 games and contributed on 716 snaps. He chalked up solid 72 tackles, 16 assists, and added 39 stops. In the secondary Skinner forced 4 pass break ups, 2 interceptions, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 91.8.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Does a good job getting his head around in time when playing with his back to the line of scrimmage. Has the ability to cover quickness underneath.
- Has good football awareness to read and react quickly and stay balanced and patient in space.
- Gives up his body in run support with a very good closing burst.
- Quicker than Skinner is fast but has a burst to close in zone coverage and plays physical at the line in man.
- Skinner is an explosive athlete with cover skills and a physical nature, but has some tightness that shows when attempting to quickly change directions.
- He’s a willing and capable hitter in run support and closes fast to make plays against quick screens.
- He’s an enforcer in the middle of the field and flashes the ball skills to create turnovers.
- Has enough speed and fluidity to come down and guard slot receivers and even some tight ends in man coverage.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Needs to develop a better understanding of route combinations and better overall vision.
- Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
How other scouting services rate JL Skinner (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank