Draft Profile: BioJustin Shorter from South Brunswick High School was rated a 5-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Shorter opted to join Penn State.
In 2018 as a freshman Shorter saw action in 4 games for the Nittany Lions as he made 3 receptions for just 20 yards for an average of 6.7 yards per reception, with no TDs, and just QB rating when targeted of 29.2.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played 10 games and had just 12 catches for 137 yards for an average of 11.4 yards per catch, with no TDs, and a solid QB rating when targeted of 62.8.
After season's end Shorter transferred to Florida where as a junior in 2020 he played 12 games and hauled in a solid 25 catches for a solid 268 yards for an average of 10.7 yards per catch, with 3 TDs, and a solid QB rating when targeted of 88.4.
As a senior in 2021 he played 13 games and had a solid 41 catches for a solid 550 yards for an average of 13.4 yards per catch, 3 TDs, and a solid QB rating when targeted of 88.7.
As a fifth year senior in 2022 he played 9 games and had a solid 29 catches for a solid 577 yards for an average of 19.9 yards per catch, 2 TDs, and an excellent QB rating when targeted of 93.3.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Has long arms to stiff-arm defensive backs in the open field. Willing to lower his pads to run through tackles for extra yardage. Goes over the middle, can spin out of tackles and take the big hit.
- He’s a precise route runner, creating separation when used on quick outs and stop patterns in college. Shorter has good stop-start ability and lateral agility.
- He tracks the ball well downfield and consistently runs under long throws.
- Shorter runs precise routes, showing an innate feel for setting up defensive backs to create separation.
- He’s broad-shouldered, long-limbed and a smooth athlete who showed the ability to make plays downfield.
- An impressive athlete with very quick acceleration to reach his top speed quickly and stretch the field. Very good body control and smooth movements. Plays fast and explosive.
- A fluid mover capable of creating some separation over the middle of the field, Shorter has the long arms and soft hands to provide a sizable catch radius.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- He’ll be coming to the NFL from a wide-open spread offense in which Shorter ran a limited route tree.
- Shorter also lacks suddenness as a route runner, and that is a potential issue at the next level.
- He’s not going to threaten to take the top off of a defense.
Justin Shorter percentiles vs other Wide Receiver's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Justin Shorter (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank