Draft Profile: BioLaiatu Latu from Jesuit High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Latu joined Washington after being heavily recruited.
In 2019 as a freshman Latu saw action in 12 games and played a total of 215 snaps for the Huskies. He recorded 10 tackles, 4 assists, while adding 7 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 8 total pressures, which included 5 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 2 sacks on the season.
After season's end Latu transferred to UCLA where as a sophomore for the Bruins in 2022 Latu played 12 games and took part in 446 snaps for the Bruins. He recorded 20 tackles, 3 assists, while adding 23 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 52 total pressures, and 35 QB hurries, 6 QB hits, and an impressive 11 sacks during the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Latu has the take on skills to play the Mike, shedding blockers with a good hand technique and plenty of functional strength. He accelerates quickly in space and has closing speed.
- He has the fluid movement skills and speed to turn and run in coverage against tight ends.
- He has the strong core and powerful hands to shed blockers, and Latu shows excellent instincts with the ability to quickly locate the ball.
- He does not have the elite straight-line speed or quickness, but his strength and pass-rush ability compensate for this.
- Keeps feet moving after initial contact. Jumps inside as a counter to typical rush, but needs to show a larger variety of moves.
- He combines good length and initial quickness, showing the burst to win early in the down as a pass rusher.
- Latu uses his hands well and is usually able to disengage from blockers. He’s instinctive, reading, reacting and locating the ball quickly, and finishing plays as an authoritative, wrap-up tackler.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Leaves his feet at times. Sometimes heads straight-on to quick receivers instead of anticipating their route.
- While he uses his hands effectively in general play, there is room for improvement in the violence of his hand usage while coming after the quarterback at the next level.
- As good as Latu is attacking downhill, he can get overaggressive and overrun plays, opening up cutback lanes for counter runs.
How other scouting services rate Laiatu Latu (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank