Drafted: ROUND: 7 - Pick Number: 257 (ARI)
Draft Profile: BioMarquis Hayes was awarded a four-star recruit rating from ESPN and the 19th ranked offensive guard in the nation. He was named to the All-State Second Team, All-Conference Lineman of the Year, First-Team All-District, and First-Team All-Conference. He chose Oklahoma over Iowa State, Miami, and Missouri.
Hayes redshirted his first year and played little in 2018, but won the starting job in 2019 where he started at left guard in all 13 games in which he played. He impressed as a pass protector and allowed zero sacks, only 10 total pressures, but gave up 8 penalties while playing on 848 snaps.
In 2020 he started all 11 of the team’s games at left guard and while playing 738 total snaps Hayes allowed 2 sacks and 12 total pressures, but only gave up two penalties. Hayes was added to the Outland Trophy watch list at season's end.
2021 was Hayes's best as he played in all 14 of Oklahoma's games. He surrendered 3 sacks, 13 total pressures, and gave up 9 penalties while playing on 815 snaps, but significantly improved as a run blocker.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Listed at 6’5″, 324 pounds Hayes is a huge man-mountain of a player with incredible natural strength
- Very tough with strong, violent hands - once latched on to defender almost impossible to get him off
- Best asset is his strength and disposition as a run blocker. Gives a strong initial punch. Plays with good leverage bends at the knees and sees what he's hitting, showing the ability to roll his hips into the defender and drive him off the line of scrimmage.
- Creates excellent power when he initiates contact and forcefully squares up to his opponent.
- Big athlete with good bulk and a filled-out frame. Stays balanced and doesn't overextend in pass protection. Stays disciplined with good bend and leverage.
- Powerful run blocker at the point of attack when he can one step forward and set the edge for his gap
- Has the feet to adjust when he anticipates what's coming. Effective trapping and bends at the knees with adequate core strength to absorb the bull rush. Can clear a path at the second level if he hits the target.
- Dominates smaller defenders - leaves them on the floor. Is overpowering in the power run game
- Quick Infomation processor who instinctively knows what's going on around him
- Sells trap block and can turn to seal. Fluid getting to and adjust at the second level.
- Excellent positional run blocker who flashes the nasty demeanor and killer instinct scouts covet.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Struggles against speed rushers - and finds anchoring difficult when defenders are driving right at him
- Isn't an elite quick-twitch blocker and his height causes him to lose battles where defenders go low. Leaks inside pressure when his technique gets sloppy
- Lacks lateral agility, flexibility and footwork to start on the outside in the NFL - so unable to play outside
- Heavy footed and lacks elite lateral ability- will struggle with speed rushers and footwork is a work in progress. Bends too much at the waist and overextends himself- often caught lunging and leaning.
- Not a great athlete who doesn't move well - relies almost entirely on his overall size and length
- Needs to show he has enough speed to be dominant in a straight-ahead running game
- Has inconsistent quickness and lacks the natural burst to maintain balance and block in space
Scouting Report: SummaryMarquis Hayes is a massive player with decent technique and impressive strength but lacks athleticism, short-area quickness, and long speed. He could succeed at the next level if asked to play in a phone booth as a pass blocker or to contribute in a power running scheme. He however won't fit in offenses that require speed and athleticism and this will likely cut down his available options.
We expect Hayes to hear his name called in the fourth round of the 2022 NFL Draft and while he probably won't start immediately will likely carve out a nice career as a starting NFL guard in the right system.
Marquis Hayes percentiles vs other Offensive Guard's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Marquis Hayes (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank