Drafted: ROUND: 6 - Pick Number: 190 (ATL)
- Lone concern is handling the superquick NFL edge rusher. Foot speed and quickness are very good, but not elite.
- Best asset is his strength and disposition as a run blocker. Gives a strong initial punch. Plays with good leverage bends at the knees and sees what he's hitting, showing the ability to roll his hips into the defender and drive him off the line of scrimmage.
- Above-average football smarts and general intelligence. Plays with a nasty streak. Solid character and work ethic.
- Has a strong upper body with physical, powerful hands and works hard to gain body positioning in the run game.
- Awareness is above-average for his limited experience. Sells trap block and can turn to seal. Fluid getting to and adjust at the second level.
- Loses leverage battles and plays with high pad level. Can be late off the snap.
- Isn't an elite quick-twitch blocker and his height causes him to be out-quicked. Leaks inside pressure when his technique gets sloppy.
- Will punch at smaller defenders instead of latching on and is more of a mauler than mover in the running game. Can improve maintaining outside leverage when doubling the nose. Ducks his head and gets too upright, causing him to fall off second-level blocks.
- Flashes the ability to move his man with his hands, but is not yet consistent in this area.
- Needs to work on his technique in pass protection, using more consistent leverage and continuing to move his feet.
Justin Shaffer percentiles vs other Offensive Guard's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Justin Shaffer (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank