Draft Profile: BioMaurice Smith from Miami Central High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Smith opted to join Florida State.
In 2019 as a freshman Smith saw action in 4 games and played a total of 180 snaps for the Seminoles. He allowed just 3 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks while playing at left guard.
As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 8 games and a total of 542 snaps. He conceded 5 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and no sacks while playing at center.
In 2021 as a junior Smith saw action in 9 games and totaled 532 snaps. He gave up 12 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and 2 sacks while playing at center.
In 2022 as a senior Smith saw action in 11 games and played a total of 731 snaps for the Seminoles. He allowed 7 QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing at center.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Understands angles and plays with good leverage. Smith has long arms and heavy hands, using them effectively in pass protection, and Smith has a strong enough initial punch to get an edge on quick sets.
- Does a nice job on the second level, moving upfield quickly and showing the flexibility and balance to land blocks in space.
- Shows good initial burst after the snap, with the ability to sink his hips and generate movement. He’s a heady and savvy pass protector, capable of making calls and setting protections at the line of scrimmage.
- Gets everything out of his adequate size and frame with good length. Added bulk to his frame and flashes functional strength to get a good push in the run game.
- Smith moves much better than his relatively squat, square frame would suggest. Fluid and flexible, he’s capable of moving in space and latching on to moving targets at the second level.
- Shows excellent awareness against twists and stunts, and he has the strong, flexible core and wide base to catch and handle moving defenders.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has enough power in the run game, but at times Smith seems to lack a mean streak.
- Has fairly heavy feet, struggling to mirror against quicker defenders. Smith lacks the range to get out as an effective puller, and he can often look stiff when moving out into space and zeroing in on bodies.
- Lacks foot speed to be a major threat as a lead blocker outside. Inconsistent latching on and gets lazy, bending at the waist.
How other scouting services rate Maurice Smith (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank