Draft Profile: BioAfter high school, Thomas opted to join NC State.
In 2018 as a freshman Thomas saw action in 13 games for the Wolfpack as he made 34 receptions for 383 yards for an average of 11.3 yards per reception, with 3 TDs, and an excellent QB rating when targeted of 97.8.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played 12 games and had 31 catches for 330 yards for an average of 10.6 yards per catch, with 3 TDs, and QB rating when targeted of 63.7.
As a junior in 2020 he played 12 games and hauled in 42 catches for 529 yards for an average of 12.6 yards per catch, with 6 TDs, and an excellent QB rating when targeted of 127.7.
As a senior in 2021 he played 12 games and had 51 catches for 596 yards for an average of 11.7 yards per catch, 8 TDs, and an excellent QB rating when targeted of 132.4.
As a fifth year senior in 2022 he played 12 games and had 53 catches for 595 yards for an average of 11.2 yards per catch, 4 TDs, and an excellent QB rating when targeted of 92.3.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He’s also a catch-and-run threat, a creative runner who has good vision in the open field; he’ll be an option to return kicks as well.
- Often used on deep routes, getting separation down the sideline or over the middle on crossing routes by extending his arms rather than pure speed.
- Thomas is quicker than fast and lacks elite wheels to simply blow by defenders, but Thomas has good football speed.
- Tracks the ball well downfield and shows good ball skills, including the ability to go up and high-point it in contested-catch situations.
- Although he is more of a possession target than a field stretcher, he fiercely competitive demeanor and run-after-catch ability make him a major threat in the middle of the field.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Does not always use his hands to secure deep throws, allowing the ball into his pads and chest.
- Hands are good, not great. Will drop some easy balls and sometimes will body catch. Occasionally fails to high point.
- He’s not physically imposing. Thomas is small-framed and won’t be able to carry much more weight.
- He also had problems with drops when coming back to the action. Thomas has some issues against press coverage, sometimes spending too much time hand fighting at the line of scrimmage.
Thayer Thomas percentiles vs other Wide Receiver's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Thayer Thomas (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank