Draft Profile: BioDerek Parish from Pearland High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Parish joined Houston.
In 2018 as a freshman Parish saw action in 12 games and played a total of 192 snaps for the Cougars. He recorded 12 tackles, 3 assists, while adding 9 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 12 total pressures, which included 7 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 2 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Cougars in 2019 Parish played in 12 games and took part in 361 snaps for the Cougars. He recorded 23 tackles, 3 assists, while adding 18 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 24 total pressures, and 18 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and 2 sacks during the year.
In 2020 as a junior Parish played in 8 games and contributed on 363 snaps. He recorded 16 tackles, 3 assists while making 18 stops. As a pass rusher, he produced 26 total pressures, which included 15 QB hurries, 7 QB hits, and a solid 4 sacks on the year.
In 2021 as a senior Parish logged playing time in 14 games and logged a total of 487 snaps for the Cougars. He also added 24 tackles, 13 assists, and 21 stops. As a pass rusher, he tallied 36 total pressures, which included 21 QB hurries, 8 QB hits, and a decent 7 sacks on the season.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Parish logged playing time in 4 games and logged a total of 204 snaps for the Cougars. He also added 12 tackles, 2 assists, and 13 stops. As a pass rusher, he tallied 26 total pressures, which included 17 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and a decent 6 sacks on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- One of the true straight-up edge burners in this draft class, Parish has the kind of skill set NFL teams covet in an edge rusher.
- Parish has electrifying change-of-direction skills and also the length and upper-body strength to discard blockers on the way.
- Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #49. He wrote, "The 6-2, 245-pound Parish, who has a 21-inch neck, is a beast in the weight room, power-cleaning 426 pounds and back-squatting 674. He benches 425 pounds for three reps but also runs a 4.58 40 and has hit 21 mph on the GPS."
- His spin is his best move, tight and quick to the point that blockers don’t have time to react to it. His closing burst is outstanding.
- Vision to locate the ball and recognize cut blocks. Can rip past blockers and pull down ball carriers when he cannot fully disengage from linemen.
- Parish has an excellent feel for working off blockers and knowing how and when to counter as the play goes on.
- Possesses accurate snap anticipation and timing to beat blockers off the edge.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- As a run defender, he’s too much of a grab-and-drag tackler, lacking violence and too frequently allowing running backs to escape.
- Parish plays with poor anchor strength and too often fails to set the edge against bigger linemen.
- He’s not a guy who can be put on the edge every down and be expected to consistently create pressure.
Derek Parish percentiles vs other Defensive Line's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Derek Parish (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank