Draft Profile: BioDevon Achane from Fort Bend Marshall High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Achane joined Texas A&M.
In 2020 as a freshman Achane saw action in 8 games for the Aggies as he ran for a decent 364 yards on 43 attempts for an elite 8.5 yards per carry, with 4 TDs, with no fumbles. As a receiver he made only 5 receptions for 97 yards.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played 12 games. and rushed for an impressive 885 yards on 130 carries for an elite 6.8 ypc, with 9 TDs, with one fumble. In the passing game he pulled in a decent 24 receptions for 261 yards.
In 2022 as a junior Achane saw action in 10 games for the Aggies. He ran for an elite 1100 yards on 196 attempts for an impressive 5.6 ypc, with 8 TDs, with one fumble. As a receiver he made a decent 36 receptions for 196 yards.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Elusive, pogo stick-quick back with excellent initial burst and very good long speed. Gets to top speed quickly. Turns the corner and accelerates smoothly with vision to cut or stop-and-start. Tough enough to attack the hole inside and uses electric lateral agility to avoid. Breakaway threat has improved as a receiver.
- Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #35. He wrote, "Arguably the fastest man in college football, the 5-9, 185-pound junior has big-time track credentials. He’s run a 10.02 personal best in the 100, although that was a wind-aided time. He’s also run a 10.14 100 that was legal with a 1.8 mph wind, which ranks as the 10th-fastest time in A&M history. He’s also clocked a 20.20 200-meter time. Achane showed that dazzling speed when he took a kickoff back 96 yards midway through the third quarter in the win over No. 1 Alabama to help him average a robust 33.4 yards per return on the season."
- His initial burst is excellent, and he’s capable of running out of a traditional setup or taking the ball lined up next to a quarterback in shotgun.
- Is an electrifying player, one of college football’s best playmakers in space
- Cuts on a dime with lightning-fast feet and the quick-twitch explosion of an Olympic sprinter out of the block. Very good vision.
- His competitiveness and knack for high-pointing the ball allow him to play bigger than his size.
- Achane accelerates 0-to-60 and hits top speed fast enough to outrun angles. He’s also flexible and agile, able to keep the pedal to the floor as he turns and weaves.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- As a runner, Achane too often looks to bounce outside and make the big play, rather than pick his way through traffic.
- Does most of his work on the perimeter — and ran a lot of fly sweeps
- Offers little in pass protection and poor technique cut blocking, fails to do much to slow down blitzers
How other scouting services rate Devon Achane (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank