Draft Profile: BioDeWayne McBride from Vanguard High School was rated a 3 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, McBride opted to join UAB.
In 2020 as a freshman McBride saw action in 6 games for the Blazers as he ran for 439 yards on 47 attempts for an average of 9.3 yards per carry, with 4 TDs, and no fumbles. As a receiver he made no receptions for no yards.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 13 games. and rushed for 1366 yards on 204 carries for an average of 6.7 ypc, with 13 TDs, and 4 fumbles. In the passing game he pulled in 3 receptions for 19 yards.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Doesn't possess elite breakaway speed, but is fast enough to gain yardage in chunks when he finds a seam.
- Has good burst to and through the hole. A patient runner with good vision and burst for the cutback. Squares his shoulders and can knock the defender back onto his heels. Good leg drive and forward lean to gain extra yardage after contact.
- Flashes initial burst and good lateral quickness to sidestep defenders or bounce runs outside with very good foot quickness. Displays very good feel as an inside and outside runner with above average vision to make sharp cuts - good patience· and footwork to pick through defenses.
- Difficult to bring down one-on-one in space, regularly sidesteps would-be tacklers and uses offhand to use oncoming defenders' momentum against them without slowing down significantly.
- Demonstrated the ability to track the ball over his shoulder. Good flexibility and balance to adjust to the poorly thrown pass. Good vision and patience for screens.
- Shows a surprising burst to beat linebackers to the edge. Can plant his foot in the ground and explode, showing better straight-line speed than expected.
- Does not possess top breakaway speed, though he's rarely caught from behind.
- A downhill runner who picks up momentum as he goes and does a nice job absorbing contact between the tackles - physical with good pad level.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Loses momentum when he gears down to change direction and it takes him a few steps to accelerate back to full speed. Appears indecisive; will dance too much at the line of scrimmage. Lacks natural playmaking ability.
- Too indecisive and hesitant at the line of scrimmage.
How other scouting services rate DeWayne McBride (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank