Draft Profile: BioChau Smith-Wade from Simeon Vocational HS High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Smith-Wade opted to join Washington State.
In 2020 as a freshman Smith-Wade saw action in just 2 games and played a total of 45 snaps at cornerback for the Cougars. He recorded just 5 tackles, no assists, while adding 3 stops. In coverage Smith-Wade notched up one pass breakup, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 129.2.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 11 games and logged 277 snaps for the Cougars. He made just 8 tackles, 6 assists, and had no stops. In coverage he totaled 3 pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 58.8.
In 2022 as a junior Smith-Wade played in 12 games and contributed on 783 snaps. He chalked up 36 tackles, 9 assists, and added 15 stops. In the secondary Smith-Wade forced 5 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 68.2.
In 2023 as a senior Smith-Wade saw action in 3 games while playing 137 snaps. He logged 12 tackles, one assist, and made 4 stops. In coverage Smith-Wade had 2 pass breakups, no interceptions, and surrendered QB rating when targetted of 60.7.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Savvy cover skills to recognize and anticipate routes. Understands what's coming and has good ball skills.
- Shows good instincts when facing the action in zone coverage, and Smith-Wade has solid ball skills.
- Can track the ball downfield and gets his head around when playing in a trail position, and he shows excellent ball skills when breaking on a route. He’s a plus tackler in run support as well.
- Has quick feet and excellent change-of-direction ability, capable of mirroring quickness underneath.
- His ball skills are very good. Smith-Wade tracks the ball well downfield and has the hands and coordination to come away with interceptions even when he isn’t targeted often.
- Tracks the ball well and has the natural ball skills for forcing turnovers.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Needs to develop a better understanding of route combinations and better overall vision.
- NFL teams are going to test him deep early on, and he’ll also be prone to flags since he’s grabby downfield.
- Feet aren’t ideal, as Smith-Wade gets sloppy in his backpedal and can be sluggish when transitioning to close on the ball.
How other scouting services rate Chau Smith-Wade (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank