Draft Profile: BioJack Nelson from Stoughton High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Nelson opted to join Wisconsin.
In 2020 as a freshman Nelson saw action in just 2 games and played a total of 9 snaps for the Badgers. He allowed no QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing sparingly.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 13 games and a total of 769 snaps. He conceded 6 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, and 2 sacks while playing at right guard.
In 2022 as a junior Nelson saw action in 11 games and totaled 676 snaps. He gave up 6 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 2 sacks while playing at left tackle.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Tall, long, athletic pass protector. Generally gets out of three-point stance with good knee bend and a wide base.
- Has the functional strength to hold up against the bull rush, and Nelson shows exceptionally quick and precise hands.
- Is effective when asked to pull, showing the agility, speed, and overall range to get out as a lead blocker, where he locates defenders and shows the ability to adjust and land blocks against linebackers.
- Best on the outside because of his height and athleticism, but is capable of blocking on the move.
- Plays with natural leverage and has the strength to anchor against the bull rush. Nelson also packs a violent initial punch that can stand up pass rushers.
- Has the agility, technique, and size to contribute early in his professional career. Quick, active hands to latch on to defenders.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- He’s going to get pushed backward by speed to- power rushers on the next level, and he’ll potentially have a rough time if asked to protect on an island.
- Nelson seems too focused on winning with his hands, too often stopping his feet. Nelson also plays with poor balance in the run game, lunging into contact rather than sinking his hips and delivering a block.
- Can struggle to stay engaged, especially on the second level. His hand placement can be sloppy, costing him power.
How other scouting services rate Jack Nelson (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank