Draft Profile: BioJack Nelson from Stoughton High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Nelson opted to join Wisconsin.
In 2020 as a freshman Nelson saw action in just 2 games and played a total of 9 snaps for the Badgers. He allowed no QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing sparingly.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 13 games and a total of 769 snaps. He conceded an impressive 6 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, and 2 sacks while playing at right guard.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Displays good awareness when it comes to reading moving bodies, effectively reacting and adjusting. Nelson also shows a good feel for combo blocks.
- Shows excellent awareness when presented with stunts and blitzes, and Nelson works well with teammates on combo blocks
- Willing to attack and punches multiple times to finish the play. Quick to pick up edge blitz and shows no panic, easily adjusting angles and resetting his feet. Can recover and reset his anchor. Rarely late off the snap.
- Tall, reliable blocker with long arms, good agility and a solid initial punch. Knocks rushers off their route.
- In the run game, he plays with a mean streak and does a nice job generating a push at the initial point of attack. Nelson can get outside and does a decent job landing blocks in space.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- More of a wall-off blocker at the second level, rarely putting defenders on the ground. Nelson could stand to be a more tenacious finisher at the next level, as Nelson too often falls off blocks.
- Plays with poor balance, doing too much reaching and lunging when his initial punch is ineffective. Trying to mirror against quickness will be a problem for him.
- Has a bad habit of panicking on reach blocks, lunging, and grabbing rather than trusting his athleticism to get him in position, which could lead to frequent flags for holding.
- Is a bit underpowered, often coming off the line of scrimmage too high and struggling to generate movement. Nelson might be no more than a wall-off, angle blocker.
How other scouting services rate Jack Nelson (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank