Draft Profile: BioJaylen Harrell from Berkeley Prep High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Harrell joined Michigan after being heavily recruited.
In 2020 as a freshman Harrell saw action in just one game and played a total of 4 snaps for the Wolverines. He recorded only one tackle, no assists, while adding no stops.
As a sophomore for the Wolverines in 2021 Harrell played in 12 games and took part in 215 snaps for the Wolverines. He recorded 13 tackles, 4 assists, while adding 7 stops. In coverage Harrell made no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 107.3.
In 2022 as a junior Harrell played in 12 games and contributed on 419 snaps. He recorded 14 tackles, 8 assists while making 12 stops. In coverage Harrell chalked up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 56.3. As a pass rusher, he produced 24 total pressures, which included 15 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 6 sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He’s outstanding on the blitz, showing initial burst and quickness with his first step, with the core strength to bounce off blocks and overpower backs in blitz pickup, closing fast on the quarterback.
- Handles misdirection well with quick change-of-direction ability. Comes downhill quickly against the run when Harrell has an open lane.
- Harrell combines the athleticism of a chase-and-tackle defender and the toughness and physicality of a classic 4-3 Mike.
- Ferocious against the run and very good in coverage, is extremely versatile. Despite his build, he holds up well in traffic and makes a lot of plays by engaging a block, shedding, and pursuing.
- Good all-around athlete with very good short-area quickness and fluidity. Very good playing strength and has worked hard in the weight room, adding bulk and filling out his frame.
- Has the dynamic athleticism to be a force on the edge. He’s a fluid mover with bend-and-dip flexibility as a pass rusher, and he uses his long arms to ward off blockers.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Harrell lacks elite traits in the pass rush and will need to develop a counter move.
- Limited vision and is easily fooled by misdirection. Lacks range and lateral agility in coverage.
- Harrell is in a hurry to get upfield but shows poor instincts when locating the ball against the run.
How other scouting services rate Jaylen Harrell (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank