Draft Profile: BioBrown was a Smyrna High School star who was a four-star recruit and the 255th player in the 2018 class. is the 6th leading rusher in West Virginia history. He has logged 2888 yds and 27 TDs over the past four years with over 2000 yds over the past two.
Brown was named to the All-Big 12 preseason second-team by Athlon Sports, Lindy’s, and Phil Steele. In 2020, he was an All-Big 12 First-Team selection.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Real tough powerful back who has an old school feel to him
- Despite not having great time speed d we have never seen him caught from behind
- One of the best after contact runners in college football - almost impossible to bring down one-on-one in space, regularly sidesteps would-be tacklers and uses offhand to use oncoming defenders' momentum against them without slowing down significantly
- Demonstrated the ability to track the ball over his shoulder. Good vision and patience for screens.
- Brown is a natural runner who shows good lateral agility
- Nice soft hands - an asset in the passing game - Brown caught 31 passes in 2020 for 2 scores and in 2019 caught 17 passes
- Runs with excellent balance and is difficult to stop between the tackles
- Has good burst to and through the hole. A patient runner with good vision and burst for the cutback. Squares his shoulders and can knock the defender back onto his heels. Good leg drive and forward lean to gain extra yardage after contact
- Displays very good feel as an inside and outside runner with an above-average vision to make sharp cuts - good patience· and footwork to pick through defenses
- A classic north-south runner with little wasted motion
- Versitile has even been used out wide to take advantage of his receiving ability
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Limited speed not explosive.
- Not very quick - has to rely on power and struggles with running outside
- While Strong has good power between the tackles maybe best suited to a full back role
- Lacks creativity in the running game - needs to be more dynamic
- Too indecisive and hesitant at the line of scrimmage and sometimes misses holes
Scouting Report: SummaryBrown will benefit from being part of a running back class that is somewhat underwhelming this year. He has great size to be a classic every-down back in the NFL and is well versed as both a receiver and a blocker so offers versatility scouts crave. He however is neither particularly quick nor fast and this will limit his draft stock in the 2022 NFL draft and reduce him to being regarded as a short-yardage role player.
He has an excellent injury history which you can't underestimate the importance of for running backs in the NFL and thus is likely to have a solid NFL career probably as part of a running back rotation scheme.
We see him being picked no higher than the fourth round unless he can improve his timed speed numbers during the NFL combine.
How other scouting services rate Leddie Brown (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank