Drafted: ROUND: 2 - Pick Number: 52 (SEA)
Draft Profile: BioZach Charbonnet from Oaks Christian High School was rated a 4 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Charbonnet opted to join Michigan.
In 2019 as a freshman Charbonnet saw action in 13 games for the Wolverines as he ran for 726 yards on 149 attempts for an average of 4.9 yards per carry, with 11 TDs, and one fumble. As a receiver he made 8 receptions for 30 yards.
As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 5 games. and rushed for 124 yards on 19 carries for an average of 6.5 ypc, with one TD, and no fumbles. In the passing game he pulled in 6 receptions for 41 yards.
After season's end Charbonnet transferred to UCLA where a junior Charbonnet saw action in 12 games for the Bruins. He ran for 1153 yards on 204 attempts for an average of 5.7 ypc, with 13 TDs, and no fumbles. As a receiver he made 23 receptions for 181 yards.
As a senior in 2022 he played in 10 games and ran for 1358 yards on 194 carries for an average of 7.0 ypc, with 14 TDs, with one fumble. In the passing game he showcased his ability as a receiver logging 37 receptions for an outstanding 320 yards.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Rusher with a great combination of overall size and strength with excellent speed
- Has the feet and feel running between the tackles and in the open field. He has very good vision and the patience to pick through defenses.
- Fights for extra yardage and is reliable in short-yardage situations.
- Improving patience as a runner, following pulling guards and makes good decisions on his cut.
- Strong interior runner. Quickly presses the line of scrimmage and has the burst to get through the line of scrimmage and into the second level quickly. A classic North-South runner who doesn't waste time moving laterally.
- Very physical runner; keeps his legs churning on contact. Rarely goes down with the first hit. Lowers shoulder into defenders and shows pure determination with natural running skills to break free and stiff-arm and spin move to dodge tacklers.
- Has good vision to find the hole and get North-South. Gets a good initial push and always seems to be falling forward for a positive gain. A hard runner with a workhorse-type back mentality.
- Offers an extra dimension as a receiver - was regularly split out wide as a senior and had a 97.0 QB rating when targetted with 320 yards
- Demonstrated the ability to track the ball over his shoulder. Good flexibility and balance to adjust to the poorly thrown pass. Good vision and patience for screens.
- Always maintained strong academics, has a high football IQ and is well-regarded both in and out of the locker room. He left Michigan, largely to be nearer his disabled sister
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Loses momentum when he gears down to change direction and it takes him a few steps to accelerate back to full speed. Appears indecisive; will dance too much at the line of scrimmage. Lacks natural playmaking ability.
- He is more fast than quick and doesn't have the super quickness you will pound on elite backs
- Doesn't make tacklers miss - needs to develop a greater bag of tricks if he is going to succeed in the pros
- Had trouble with drops at Michigan - although his hands seem to have significantly developed at UCLA
- Offers little in pass protection and poor technique cut blocking
Scouting Report: SummaryCharbonnet has really helped his stock this past year and his move to UCLA proved to be an excellent move. He has the ideal size for the position combined with decent speed and a powerful running style and has put this all together this last season chalking up great numbers both on the ground and in the air. In addition, Charbonnet has very much become a complete back at UCLA and has increasingly made an impact as a receiver. He isn't perfect, however, and struggles as a pass protector - possesses decent but not elite quickness, and isn't elusive at the second level.
We consider Charbonnet as a likely third-round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft who has promise as a starter at the next level and offers the ability to fit a number of pro schemes.
Zach Charbonnet percentiles vs other Running Back's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
Zach Charbonnet Three Minute Video Review
Courtesy of NFL Draft Buzz contributor Steven Wright
How other scouting services rate Zach Charbonnet (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank