Draft Profile: BioMichael Jurgens from Damascus High School was rated a 77-star prospect by ESPN with a scout's rating of 77 Following high school, Jurgens opted to join Wake Forest.
In 2018 as a freshman Jurgens saw action in just one game and played a total of 8 snaps for the Demon Deacons. He allowed no QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing sparingly.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 6 games and a total of 45 snaps. He conceded no QB hurries, no QB hits, and one sack while playing at center.
In 2020 as a junior Jurgens saw action in 8 games and totaled 579 snaps. He gave up a solid 5 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and one sack while playing at center.
In 2021 as a senior Jurgens saw action in 13 games and played a total of 948 snaps for the Demon Deacons. He allowed a solid 7 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and 2 sacks while playing at center.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Exhibits good patience in pass protection, sitting back in his set rather than leaning and lunging.
- When his hand placement is right, Jurgens has the strong grip that allows him to manhandle opponents. Jurgens plays with a mean streak and keeps the nastiness going through the whistle.
- Outstanding in the screen game, both because of his instincts to deceive defenders and mobility to get out in front and land blocks.
- Understands angles and plays with good leverage. Jurgens has long arms and heavy hands, using them effectively in pass protection, and he has a strong enough initial punch to get an edge on quick sets.
- He’ll appeal to man-blocking teams, and he’s a fairly high-upside developmental pick when considering his value in the run game.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Could be a liability against speed-to-power pass rushers early in his career.
- Has a bad habit of panicking on reach blocks, lunging, and grabbing rather than trusting his athleticism to get him in position, which could lead to frequent flags for holding.
- As a pass protector, Jurgens gets caught reaching and lunging when matched up against quickness.
- Has fairly heavy feet, struggling to mirror against quicker defenders. Jurgens lacks the range to get out as an effective puller, and he can often look stiff when moving out into space and zeroing in on bodies.
How other scouting services rate Michael Jurgens (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank