Drafted: ROUND: 4 - Pick Number: 127 (NE)
Draft Profile: BioPierre Strong was a well-regarded recruit out of McClellan High School, where he rushed for 4,268 yards and 57 touchdowns in his last two years and earned 5A offensive player of the year award as a senior.
Strong burst on to the scene in 2018 after redshirting his freshman year and finished the season with team bests of 1,116 rushing yards and 11 rushing touchdowns. He followed this up with a team-best 1,018 yards in 11 games and an Associated Press All-America Third Team (2019) award.
He didn't play in 2020 as games were canceled for COVID-related reasons but Strong returned in 2021 and upped his game - with 1489 yds and 16 TDs. This dominating performance led him to him receive a place on the AFCA FCS Coaches' All-America First Team as well as becoming a Stats Perform Walter Payton Award Finalist.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Very powerful back with an ideal build for the position - able to plow through linebackers. Will not be arm tackled
- Consistent performer who has produced three 1000yd plus seasons
- Has good, not great top-end speed but accelerates very quickly to get there and never gets caught from behind
- Very patient and waits for lanes to develop and follows his blockers with purpose
- Has a natural instinct for the running game and almost seems to know where defenders are planning to go before they do. Great football intelligence
- Runs without any wasted motion - and hits the hole in a flash
- A classic quick-twitch player who is equally adept powering off tackle and running outside
- Decent hands - quality outlet receiver
- Has a nose for the end zone - has scored 35 TDs in his college career
- Very quick and agile in his cuts and has the confidence in his ability to make defenders miss
- Has been an effective gadget player and has thrown eight passes in his collegiate career completing them all, with 198 yards and five touchdowns
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has played in for South Dakota State in the FCS and in doing so has never really faced a high level of competition
- Hasn't really ever been featured in the passing game so his tape is limited on judging that area of his game
- Has little experience as a pass blocker and when he has, has shown poor technique. Will need to improve significantly in the NFL
- Doesn't have great top-end speed - is not as explosive as you would like
Scouting Report: SummaryPierre Strong is a promising prospect with a long history of success at both high school and the FCS level. He's put up over 3500 yds in his three years at South Dakota State while not missing time with injury.
He has excellent athletic skills and is a natural dominating runner - he hasn't however ever faced top-level competition and so it remains to be seen how he would perform having to effectively jump two playing levels. He also isn't overly versatile as he has little experience as a receiver or pass blocker and so probably won't be viewed as a three-down back in the pros.
We project Strong as a power back in the pro game who will likely excel as an off-tackle runner and a goal-line specialist and a likely fourth-round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.
Pierre Strong Jr. percentiles vs other Running Back's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Pierre Strong Jr. (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank