Draft Profile: BioT.J. Bass from Mt. Baker High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Bass opted to join Oregon.
In 2020 as a freshman Bass saw action in 7 games and played a total of 386 snaps for the Ducks. He allowed an impressive 5 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks while playing at left guard.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 14 games and a total of 931 snaps. He conceded 12 QB hurries, no QB hits, and 2 sacks while playing the majority of his snaps at left tackle, and the rest at left guard.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Bass is a work in progress with high-end physical traits. He’s extremely light on his feet for a 300-pounder, a natural knee bender who plays with balance and leverage.
- Outstanding on reach blocks, showing good initial quickness and flexibility to seal the backside. He’s a heady player who is quick to recognize and react to twists and stunts up front, and Bass shows a good sense of timing on combo blocks.
- Shows a good feel for combo blocks, and he displays good quickness and flexibility when moving to the second level, capable of sealing the back side on reach blocks
- Has a strong, flexible core, and the ability to absorb and anchor against the bull rush as a pass protector.
- He’s a fluid mover in pass protection, with great coordination between his upper and lower body. Bass sets with a wide base, has the requisite core strength and plays with natural balance, capable of sitting back and handling power.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- He’s often too mechanical as a pass protector, oversetting and getting beat inside.
- Has good-not-great feet. Dealing with speed on the edge will likely be a problem, especially because he’s more comfortable moving forward as a run blocker than Bass is retreating as a pass protector.
- His physical gifts were enough to get by against collegiate opponents, but he had trouble with bull rushers when facing quality competition, which is potentially a problem in the NFL.
- Has enough power in the run game, but at times he seems to lack a mean streak.
How other scouting services rate T.J. Bass (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank