Draft Profile: BioDarnell Wright from Huntington High School was rated a 5-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Wright opted to join Tennessee.
In 2019 as a freshman Wright saw action in 11 games and played a total of 360 snaps for the Volunteers. He allowed a solid 6 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 2 sacks while playing most of his snaps at right tackle.
As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 10 games and a total of 569 snaps. He conceded a solid 9 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, and 5 sacks while playing most of his snaps at right tackle.
In 2021 as a junior Wright saw action in 13 games and totaled 922 snaps. He gave up 13 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 3 sacks while playing at left tackle.
In 2022 as a senior Wright saw action in 12 games and played a total of 829 snaps for the Volunteers. He allowed a solid 5 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and no sacks while playing at right tackle.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Has the feet to adjust when Wright anticipates what's coming. Effective trapping and bends at the knees with adequate core strength to absorb the bull rush. Can clear a path at the second level if he hits the target.
- In the run game, he shows good burst off the line of scrimmage, with the ability to win at the point of attack. Wright has enough speed and athleticism to move to the second level and land blocks.
- With a thick build and a naturally wide base, he brings power and physicality in the run game.
- Moton is an exceptionally good mover for someone his size. He has a massive frame, broad enough to carry his weight with relative ease. Wright has agile feet and moves well when moving backward in pass-protection sets.
- Best on the outside because of his height and athleticism, but is capable of blocking on the move.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- He’ll have trouble with elite quickness at the next level.
- Height can be a detriment in short-yardage, defender can get under his pads to hold the line.
- As a pass protector, Wright gets caught reaching and lunging when matched up against quickness.
- Often plays with poor balance when asked to pull and struggles to adjust in space when attempting to block faster defenders on the second level.
Darnell Wright percentiles vs other Offensive Tackle's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Darnell Wright (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank