Drafted: ROUND: 5 - Pick Number: 161 (NO)
Draft Profile: BioD'Marco Jackson finished his Broome High School career with over 400 tackles, 27 TFLs, 15 sacks, and eight interceptions. He also added over 3000 yds on the ground while playing running back, despite this he was rated as just a two-star prospect and wasn't heavily recruited.
Jackson joined Appalachian State in 2017 and redshirted his first year. The following year he saw action in all 13 games, playing inside linebacker, and totaled 25 tackles (tied for the team lead among underclassmen) with 2.0 tackles for loss, one quarterback hurry, and one pass breakup
In 2019 as a sophomore Jackson played in all 14 games and made six starts at inside linebacker and finished the year fifth on the team with 60 tackles to go along with 6.5 tackles for loss, 3.0 sacks, two PBUs, and a QB hurry.
2020 was a breakout season for Jackson as he was awarded a first-team All-Sun Belt spot after starting all 12 games at inside linebacker and tying for the team lead with 91 tackles while adding 6.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, two interceptions, six pass breakups, four QB hurries and one fumble recovery.
As a senior in 2021, Jackson continued his ascension as he became team captain - starting all 14 games - finishing the season with 120 tackles, 19.0 tackles for loss, 6.0 sacks, one interception, five pass breakups, one forced fumble and 27 quarterback pressures, and also surrendered a 110.3 QB rating when targetted in coverage. As a result, he won the Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year and a spot on the All-Sun Belt first-team
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Keeps feet moving after initial contact. Jumps inside as a counter to typical rush, but needs to show a larger variety of moves.
- Has the combination of size and athleticism worthy of development.
- Reads the quarterback to anticipate and is a candidate to play outside.
- Gets pressures on inside stunts and was too explosive for college guards to handle. Logged 20 TFL’s and 6 sacks in 2021
- Has elite speed and quickness can cover the whole field sideline to sideline (4.55 in the 40 at the combine)
- Offers versatility as a special teamer. Could be used as a gunner
- Became the captain of the Appalachian State defense as a senior showing excellent leadership skills
- Has skills as an interior pass rusher - and has the ability to regularly blow up screen
- A bit stiff but makes the clean open-field tackle. Good effort in pursuit.
- Handles misdirection well with quick change-of-direction ability. Comes downhill quickly against the run when he has an open lane.
- Shows a burst to close. Flashes explosive hitting ability and good lateral and downfield pursuit.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Undersized for a linebacker - lacks strength at 6-1 230lbs
- Work in progress as a pass rusher, with upfield burst and flexibility to dip and scrape.
- Despite his excellent timed speed and agility he is only average in coverage. Doesn't look instinctive
- Jackson sometimes too long to process the play and can look indecisive
- Has limited length and a small tackle radius. Also impacts his ability to keep blockers away from his pads
- Lacks pop and strength to anchor, though. Most effective when uncovered inside and chasing stretch plays to the sideline.
- Lacks the strength to blow up fullbacks and bulk/length to prevent getting engulfed by better linemen at the second level.
Scouting Report: SummaryD'Marco Jackson looks like a probable mid to late-round prospect. He is undersized with very limited overall length but has very good pursuit speed and agility along with consistent production throughout his college career. We doubt that he will be looked at as a middle/insider backer in the pro game due to his size limitations - so a move to the weak side is his only realistic option.
Expect Jackson to be selected in the fifth or sixth round of the 2022 NFL Draft and carve out a career as a backup/part-time starter who can excel on special teams.
D'Marco Jackson percentiles vs other Linebacker's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate D'Marco Jackson (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank