Drafted: ROUND: 3 - Pick Number: 103 (KC)
Draft Profile: BioLeo Chenal was a standout at Grantsburg High School, WI playing both sides of the ball. He finished his career with 385 tackles, 55 TFLs, 7 sacks, and 3 interceptions. On offense, he finished with 3,706 yards and 68 TDs rushing as well as 1,300 yards and 17 TDs receiving. He was a two-year team captain and also earned All-Lakeland honors in basketball and track. He received the 2018 Wisconsin Gatorade Player of the Year and was also a first-team All-America (small school) by MaxPreps as a senior.
At the WFCA Combine, he recorded a 4.64-second 40-yard dash, a 4.25-second shuttle, 35” vertical, and a 355-pound bench press. His 10’3.5” broad jump from the spring event was reportedly the combine’s best.
Was rated a three-star recruit by 247 Sports, ESPN, and Rivals. Opted to join Wisconsin for the 2019 season.
In 2019 as a freshman he played in 11 games and on 281 snaps recorded 20 tackles, including 16 solos, with 2.0 TFLs and 4 sacks.
As a sophomore in 2020, he started all 7 games of the COVID shortened season at an inside linebacker and ranked second on the team with 46 tackles, including 31 solo, with 6.0 TFLs, 2 sacks, 19 QB hurries, 1 forced fumble, and an interception. He received an All-Big Ten honorable mention at the end of the season.
Chenal had an elite season in 2021 logged 558 snaps and recorded 87 total tackles, 4 sacks, 4 QB hits, 20 QB hurries, and a pair of forced fumbles all while missing two games of the season due to COVID-19. He was the defensive leader and was named to the 2021 AP All-America Second Team, in addition, was a finalist for the Butkus Award, an annual award honoring the nation’s best linebacker.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Supreme athlete with explosive hitting power, excellent speed, a frame that looks like it is calved out of rock, and decent agility
- A natural leader on the Wisconsin defense - almost a coach on the field with a super high football IQ
- Huge hitter with immense strength in the running game - who easily blows through lead blockers and easily handles being double-teamed. The best run defender on the team
- An immense pass rusher who led the Badgers in both sacks and tackles for loss in both 2020 and the 2021 regular season
- Overpowering at the point of attack who is elite as a bull rusher and has a nice swim move in his arsenal
- Versitile player who could play all linebacker positions at a high level
- Rarely out of position - has a great knowledge of running game concepts and seems to always be in the right place at the right time
- Very good quality tackler pretty much always wraps up and brings his man to the ground
- Keeps feet moving after initial contact. Jumps inside as a counter to typical rush, but needs to show a larger variety of moves.
- Made Bruce Feldman's annual freak's list -- and quoted as saying:
"The 6-2, 255-pound junior (31 tackles, six TFLs in 2020) is one of eight Badgers who bench 400 pounds or more. Chenal does 420 and cleans 385. The big man clocked a 4.00 time in the pro agility and has hit a top speed of 20.95 MPH on the GPS. He’s also broad jumped 10-1."
- Was at elite at the Combine putting up a 4.53-second 40-yard dash, a 40.5-inch vertical, and a 10-foot-8 broad jump
- Good all-around athlete with very good short-area quickness and fluidity. Very good playing strength and has worked hard in the weight room, adding bulk and filling out his frame
- Works hard to get better and gives top effort on every play. A heads-up defender who shows impressive field awareness.
- Super hard worker who plays 100% on every play
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Doesn't have the length that you look for in a pass rusher - has only average arms
- Doesn't really have any experience in coverage
- Builds to top speed and must take the right line to beat backs to the edge.
- Maybe a bit too jacked up and may gain agility and quickness by losing 10 pounds
- Needs work on angles and· finding receivers in zone. Fails to break down at times, grabbing shoulder pads and lunging to allow ball-carriers to elude him
- Attacks the line well but may need some work stacking and shedding blocks.
Scouting Report: SummaryLeo Chenal has developed into an elite dominator for Wisconsin who is equally talented as a run defender and a power pass rusher. He has incredible potential as an outside linebacker at the next level who given he used in a system that suits his skills could quickly become a pro bowl level performer. He needs to be used correctly and if played as a middle or inside linebacker with coverage responsibilities could easily disappoint.
We are higher on him than most and rate him as a high second-round pick in the coming 2022 NFL Draft. We're convinced the rest of the scouting community will likely see what we see especially after he puts on a show at the combine.
Leo Chenal percentiles vs other Linebacker's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Leo Chenal (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank