Drafted: ROUND: 3 - Pick Number: 70 (JAX)
Draft Profile: BioChad Muma was not highly recruited and graded as a 3-star recruit - he opted to play where both his father and grandfather played - at the University of Wyoming. He didn't disappoint and has performed impressively each and every year.
In 2018 as a freshman he only really contributed on special teams however, Muma had a breakout season the following year as a sophomore. He appeared in all 13 games had two starts and finished the season with 51 total tackles - ranking sixth on the team.
As a junior Muma ranked No. 2 in the Mountain West and No. 6 in the nation in tackles - averaging 11.8 tackles per game. He also ranked No. 8 in the MW and No. 41 in the nation in tackles for loss, averaging 1.3 TFLs per game. As a result, he received First-Team All-Mountain West honors.
2021 was a spectacular year for Muma as he played a huge 821 snaps while logging 104 tackles and two interceptions returned for touchdowns. In November Muma was named one of the six finalists for this year’s Butkus award.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Muma is a smart player who is like a coach on the field - he has a natural instinctive feel for the game
- Able to play all three positions at linebacker and a classic three-down player who has excellent lateral speed and agility
- Is a heavy powerful hitter who consistently makes perfect tackles while rapping up his man
- Never takes a play off competes whistle to whistle
- Takes excellent angles to oncoming runners and is rarely caught out by fakes and play action
- Is athletic enough to cover tight ends in man coverage and follow backs out of the backfield. Played as DB in high school and the skills are easy to see
- Received one of the highest run-defense grades in all of college football last year - a natural talent diagnosing and blowing up rushing plays
- Very good instincts for getting to the quarterback - very explosive off the snap and hit's top gear in a flash
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- A good, not great athlete - has produced with great technique rather than natural physical gifts
- Playing for Wyoming he gets the usual criticism that he hasn't faced top-level competition - the senior bowl and combine will be important for teams to evaluate him on a level footing with prospects from a higher level of competition
- Muma has excellent technique in coverage but his speed is not elite and he can't run with the faster tight ends and backs
- Not a quick-twitch athlete does not have elite agility and quickness
Scouting Report: SummaryMuma is an excellent prospect who has dominated at the division 2 level. He has an almost perfect technique and is able to understand all the nuances of the game. He's a super hard hitter and never misses a tackle who's a natural leader on the field and one of the most accomplished run defenders in the draft.
Muma isn't perfect, however - he does not possess elite athletic talent who only has good - but not great speed. It is also difficult to fully assess Muma playing at lower level school and so pro teams will have to decide whether his excellent play at that level is likely to translate to the pro game.
In our view, Muma will likely become an excellent pro and possesses an extremely high floor. We expect him to be good value as a second-round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft - with a chance to further enhance his stock at the combine.
Chad Muma percentiles vs other Inside Linebacker's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Chad Muma (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank