Draft Profile: BioAt high school at Pine Creek in Colorado JoJo Domann helped Pine Creek to a 12-1 record as a senior in 2015. Domann rushed 37 times for 404 yards, an average of nearly 11 yards per carry, and scored 11 rushing touchdowns. He also caught 33 passes for 674 yards with nine receiving touchdowns. Defensively, he racked up 34 tackles, including 4.5 tackles for loss. He received a first-team USA Today All-Colorado selection as a result. ESPN listed him among the top 60 outside linebackers in the nation and a three-star recruiting grade. He received multiple scholarships but opted to join Nebraska.
After playing sparingly during 2016 and 2017 Domann saw action at both safety and outside linebacker in 2018, starting two games at outside linebacker in November and finished the season with 19 tackles.
In 2019 as a junior Domann made the switch from safety. He started six games and recorded a career-high 52 tackles, ranked second on the team with 11 TFLs, six pass breakups, two forced fumbles, and fourth with 2.5 sacks.
As a senior in 2020, he started all eight games and earned honorable-mention All-Big Ten accolades. Domann led Nebraska with 58 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, five pass breakups, two forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery. In 2021 in his second senior year Doman In 10 games, Domann posted 72 tackles with 9.0 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks, two forced fumbles, two interceptions, and three pass breakups. His year was cut short by season-ending surgery that forced him to miss the final two games. He was also honored with a first-team All-Big Ten selection and second-team All-American by the Associated Press.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Has good athletic ability with a high football IQ and elite coverage ability
- Solid open-field tackler with good, not elite strength. is a decent run defender not a thumper but wraps up well
- Very vocal - a leader on the field
- Plays fast, flows with the action, showing smooth lateral agility and short-area burst. Has good instincts and awareness to quickly find the ball.
- Former safety who could be the best coverage linebacker in the class - had a QB rating when targeted of 63.8 this past year
- Long arms make him excellent in press coverage - asked to cover WRs in the slot at Nebraska
- Has the speed to run with tight ends and some backs
- Has had some success as a pass rusher - although he's not going to beat anyone with a bull rush
- Tougher between the tackles than many expect. Fluid and quick drop into zone, covers enough ground to be Tampa-2 "MIKE" and knows where the markers are.
- Combines very good instincts with above-average reaction skills. Almost always finds the ball in traffic.
- Reads the quarterback to anticipate and is a candidate to play any linebacker spot
- Quick to read run, showing good agility and speed to get past blockers and finish. Experienced in coverage and gets a strong jam on outside receivers.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Is more of a hybrid LB-Safety than a traditional LB
- He isn't dominant as a run defender and maybe looked at by scouts as just a bulked-up defensive back
- If used as a nickel DB doesn't have the speed to run with receivers deep
- Only adequate change-of-direction ability. Also loses his balance too often in the open field. Lacks size to be a major factor as a pass rusher although does have the requisite speed and agility
- Strong backs can run through his tackle attempts if he's not in position
- Doesn't have enough power, or bulk to fit any LB position perfectly in the NFL
- Lacks the strength to blow up fullbacks and bulk/length to prevent getting engulfed by better linemen at the second level.
Scouting Report: SummaryJojo Domann isn't a traditional linebacker - he's a hybrid LB-DB with elite coverage skills, a good tackler, can be disruptive as a blitzer, and has the lateral agility to play sideline to sideline in the run game. He however isn't really built to be a full-time every down LB in the pros and may be exposed when faced with a power rushing attack if used this way.
Domann will likely carve out a nice career as an elite nickel linebacker who adds value as an excellent lens special teams player.
We expect Domann to be a mid-round selection in the 2022 NFL Draft who will make an impact from day one.
How other scouting services rate JoJo Domann (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank