- Vision to locate the ball and recognize cut blocks. Can rip past blockers and pull down ballcarriers when he cannot fully disengage from linemen.
- Faces double-team and holds the line. Stays alive against the run and mobile quarterbacks, shedding to either side to chase.
- Adequate change-of-direction agility and straight-line speed to contain.
- Has a quick burst off the line and times the snap well. Good upper-body strength and length to lock-out his opponent and at least moderate lateral agility to slide inside or spill out to contain.
- Easily gains inside leverage by shooting gaps.
- He doesn't have the elite quickness or flexibility to flatten off the edge against NFL blockers and might have to add bulk to be a 3-4 defense five-technique, or strong-side end in a 4-3.
- Rarely the first player off the snap, even when lined up over the ball, but his length, effort and short-area quickness still pressures double teams and helps penetrate gaps.
- Doesn't change direction easily. Can be late off the snap.
- Lacks overpowering strength and can stick to blocks. Lacks explosive speed to bend and flatten off the corner with stiff hips and ankles. Not flexible or fluid.
- Not a natural bender and lacks fluid change-of-direction ability. Plays with inconsistent pad level and is often knocked backward off the snap.
How other scouting services rate Scott Patchan (Overall Rank)