Drafted: ROUND: 3 - Pick Number: 84 (PIT)
Draft Profile: BioDemarvin Leal was a high school standout where he was named to AP All-State Second Team and an Army All-American - he chalked up 83 tackles, 16 tackles for loss, 13 quarterback hits, six sacks, six pass breakups, four forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, and a blocked punt in 2018.
Leal earned a five-star rating from 247 Sports. Although openly admitting he preferred to be considered a defensive end, Leal was the second-best defensive tackle in the 2019 recruiting class. 247 Sports ranked him as the second-best player in Texas, the 16th-best player in the nation, and a top-400 player of all time. He decided to join Texas A&M after he was heavily recruited.
As a freshman he played in all 13 games, making seven starts, and was second on the team with five QB hurries.
Started all 10 games in 2020 and led the defense in hurries with eight and ranked fifth in tackles with 37. He earned team Defensive MVP and Spring Defensive MVP honors for his play.
In 2021 he started 12 games as a junior. He led the defense in hurries with eight and ranked fifth in tackles with 37, more impressively he finally broke out a pass rusher and logged 9 sacks. Leal was included on All-SEC first team and was added to the Walter Camp Preseason All-America First Team and handed Athlon Sports Preseason All-America First Team honors.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Elite athlete - powerful strong player with ideal size for the position
- Top level arm length which gives a natural advantage as a rusher and allows him to win consistently at the point of attack
- Excellent lateral mobility with elite foot speed allows him to be a major factor as a run stuffer
- Rarely goes to the ground, showing good balance.
- Challenges inside with quickness and strong hands. A run-and-chase defender who can leave a mark.
- Has a nice bull rush and power drives blockers into the passer
- Can make the impressive chest-to-chest bear hug tackle in the hole due to his ability to wreak havoc in the backfield.
- Has the versatility NFL teams covet - has player all along the line of scrimmage who is an excellent interior rusher
- Chases, using a long spin move to clear blocks. Low, strong off the line.
- A coordinated athlete with a lightning-quick first step and natural explosion.
- As a junior, Leal finally put it all together and established himself as a game wrecker
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Must improve hand use and read-and-react skills. Lacks the violent hands to shed and can be eliminated by double-teaming blocks.
- Not a high effort player - takes to many plays off
- Doesn't have enough pass rush tools to be dominant at the next level - needs to work harder at his craft
- Only had one very good statistical year of production and that wasn't elite
- Misses tackles, even when he gets his hands on the ball carrier. Needs to improve hand placement and technique.
- Character concern - has been arrested for possession of marijuana
- Sees the ball well but is stuck on blocks when head-up; does not shed to make plays often enough.
- Gives up on plays too easily - doesn't come back with another punch if he loses the first impact
- Never out of a play, but can get out of control and work himself away from the action.
- Leal underwhelmed at the NFL Combine and ran a 5.00 in the 40-yard dash with a 27.5-inch vertical jump
Scouting Report: SummaryLeal is a difficult player to scout - he no doubt has good athletic ability, good size, elite arm length with impressive strength, and good top-level speed for the position - however, he has so far underperformed at the collegiate level and has never has been the dominating factor that he should have been. It's also a little concerning that he doesn't seem to give his all on all plays and so represents a risk as a high selection. However, despite these reservations, his versatility to play anywhere along the line and athleticism should guarantee he enters the 2022 NFL Draft as an early day two selection in the 2022 NFL Draft.
How other scouting services rate DeMarvin Leal (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank