- Has the ability to create a pile in the middle, even showing the ability to split the occasional double-team. However, is just as often blown off the ball due to his high pad level.
- Good strength and balance to sit down, lock-out and create a pile, leading to possibilities inside and out (in the 3-4).
- Provides some secondary interior pass rush, getting most penetration when playing three technique.
- Strong tackler. Has good power in hands and can anchor, shed, and chase.
- Can make the impressive chest-to-chest bear hug tackle in the hole due to his ability to wreak havoc in the backfield.
- Plays upright and struggles with leverage. Too often stonewalled at the line and doesn't show the hand strength or technique to shed or redirect blockers.
- Plays too high at times, and gets carried downfield or put to the ground by better lineman when losing the leverage battle.
- Needs to keep his pad level low; pops upright and plays too tall, struggling to maintain leverage off the snap.
- Lacks closing speed and inconsistent quickness off the snap prevents him from being an elite pass rusher.
- Needs to do a better job of being the aggressor and tossing blockers aside.
How other scouting services rate Phidarian Mathis (Overall Rank)