Drafted: ROUND: 2 - Pick Number: 47 (WSH)
Draft Profile: BioPhidarian Mathis was ranked as high as No. 37 in the ESPN 300 and it's No. 4 defensive tackle after he made 41 tackles as a senior in 2016 while playing for Neille High School - he also added 12 tackles for loss, seven sacks, and six quarterback hurries. He chose to play for the Crimson Tide over in-state LSU and was also recruited by Arizona State, Florida, Georgia, and TCU among many others.
After redshirting the 2017 season Mathis recorded 18 tackles and a fumble recovery across his 15 games and received SEC All-Freshman Team honors from league coaches.
n 2019 Mathis had a role in 12 games with two starts along the Tide defensive front - logging 27 tackles, including half a stop for loss, and also contributed two quarterback hurries and a forced fumble as a sophomore.
As a junior in 2020 he totaled 31 tackles, including five for loss, 1.5 sacks, and added three quarterback pressures, three pass breakups with a forced fumble, and as result was selected as a defensive player of the week by the UA coaching staff following the Mississippi State game.
Mathis really broke out as a senior in 2021 where he was named one of the Crimson Tide's permanent team captains. He chalked up 49 tackles, totaled 12 tackles for loss, and nine sacks to rank second on the Tide defense. He also added 12 QB hurries and 6 QB hits. In recognition of this standout performance, he was selected as a second-team All-American honoree by the AFCA, tabbed as a Reese's Senior Bowl All-American, and earned All-SEC Second Team recognition from the conference coaches.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Ideal size and good length for the position with power and strength that you look for in a three-technique
- Mathis has quick hands with impressive swipe move that enable him keep offensive lineman off him and gain outside leverage
- Provides some secondary interior pass rush, getting most penetration when playing three-technique
- Decisive off the ball, extending and disengaging with a sound swim move
- Complete 2 gap run stopper - who is a powerful force in run defense
- Effective player in a 3-4 scheme at Alabama, shows the quickness needed to succeed as a 3-technique in a 4-3 defense
- Really upped his game in 2021 making 7 sacks - compared to a total of 3 in his previous three years
- Hustle defender with a good bull rush inside that can close and get home when quarterbacks leave the pocket.
- Often needs a double team to stop him blowing up the intirior offensive line - elite strength at the point of attack
- Combines strength and footwork to fill holes inside, as well. Recovers from cut blocks or falling on his way to make a tackle.
- Plays with great leverage as a run defender
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Doesn't really have a deep level of different pass rush moves - he's got a bull rush and not much else
- Has only in his final year developed any pass rush pressure
- Plays too high at times, and gets carried downfield or put to the ground by better lineman when losing the leverage battle
- Must improve hand use and read-and-react skills
- Lacks closing speed and inconsistent quickness off the snap prevents him from being an elite pass rusher
Scouting Report: SummaryMathis has become an impressive leader on the field for Alabama as a senior and has increased his draft stock significantly. He's got great size, decent athletic ability, and is a dominant player in the run game. He also has vastly improved his production as a pass rusher which before 2021 was distinctly absent from his game. He isn't perfect however and isn't an elite athlete who may lack the speed to be a dominant rusher. He'll need to develop a better technique to be a major contributor in this area of the game at the next level.
We really see promise in Mathis''s game and look at him as a very good starter at the next level - who could contribute early as a two-down run stuffer and eventually become a three-down player who can bring pressure on passing downs.
Mathis will likely be gone halfway through the second round of the 2022 NFL Draft and have graded him as such.
How other scouting services rate Phidarian Mathis (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank