Drafted: ROUND: 4 - Pick Number: 126 (LV)
Draft Profile: BioNeil Farrell Jr. was a high school standout who as a senior he totaled 101 tackles, 28 tackles for loss, 13 sacks, and 14 quarterback hurries. He was named a three-star prospect according to Rivals, 247Sports, Scout, ESPN and rated as the No. 1 defensive tackle in the state of Alabama by Scout. He was heavily recruited and received offers from a number of big schools but settled on LSU.
After seeing little playing time in 2017 as a freshman Farrell played in 10 games although he had no starts he still managed 23 tackles and 1.5 sacks along with two quarterback hurries and a pass breakup.
In 2019 as Junior Farrell saw action in15 games with three starts. He was LSU’s most productive defensive lineman in terms of tackles (46) and tackles for loss (7.0) and added 3.0 sacks with four QB hurries on the season.
In the COVID season of 2020, he played in all 10 games with six starts and logged 25 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss and a sack. He took a month off to care for his grandma who was admitted to ICU after suffering complications with COVID.
2021 was Farrell's best - by far as he started all 12 regular-season games and chalked up 45 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, a sack, and more significantly 24 total pressures. As a result, he was invited to the Senior Bowl and also was named to the All-America team by Pro Football Focus.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Ideal size for classic nose tackle space-eater at 6-4 and 330 lbs
- Played with good leverage, even on the nose, despite average bulk. Hustle defender with a good bull rush inside that can close and get home when quarterbacks leave the pocket.
- Quicker and more agile than you would expect for a player of his size
- Very strong hands - to keep blockers away from his pads
- Elite run defender - who swallows backs into his massive bulk
- Combines strength and footwork to fill holes inside, as well. Recovers from cut blocks or falling on his way to make a tackle.
- Has the ability to create a pile in the middle, even showing the ability to split the occasional double-team
- Very strong at the point of attack who simply will not be moved
- Plays best from a four-point stance where he can get down low and explode into the offensive line
- Shows some pass-rush skills as a bull rusher - also has a good swim move - can collapse the pocket if not double teamed
- Can make the impressive chest-to-chest bear hug tackle in the hole due to his ability to wreak havoc in the backfield.
- Keeps eyes in the backfield when inside; moves linemen to either side with strong hands.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Isn't able to consistently shed blocks and makes plays in the hole.
- Lacks overall athleticism - isn't particularly quick twitchy and rarely beats blockers off the snap
- Has shorter than ideal arm length which means blockers can more easily keep him at bay
- Might be limited to one-gap systems. Agility isn't a question but misses tackles when he doesn't square and break down.
- Lacks closing speed and inconsistent quickness off the snap prevents him from being an elite pass rusher.
- Good strength, though his marginal arm length limits his ability to grab hold of ballcarriers as they run by.
- Needs to do a better job of being the aggressor and tossing blockers aside.
Scouting Report: SummaryFarrel is a traditional nose tackle with great overall size and very good power. He also regularly draws double teams and is a major asset as a run defender, he, however, lacks athletism, isn't explosive, and brings little as a pass rusher.
We expect Farrell to be looked at by pro teams as a prospect who will become a major part of a defensive line rotation - where he likely plays base downs/short-yardage situations but is subbed on nickel downs. For this reason, it's unlikely he'll be viewed as a prized asset and as a result, we consider him to be value as a fifth-round prospect in the 2022 NFL Draft.
Neil Farrell Jr. percentiles vs other Defensive Tackle's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Neil Farrell Jr. (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank