Draft Profile: BioSteve Stephens IV from Edison High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Stephens IV opted to join Oregon after being heavily recruited.
In 2018 as a freshman Stephens IV saw action in just 3 games and played a total of 16 snaps at safety for the Ducks. He recorded no tackles, no assists, while adding no stops. In coverage Stephens IV notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 158.3.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 5 games and logged 66 snaps for the Ducks. He made just 3 tackles, 2 assists, and had one stop. In coverage he totaled no pass breakups, one interception, and an elite QB rating when targetted of 47.9.
In 2020 as a junior Stephens IV played in just 3 games and contributed on 69 snaps. He chalked up just 7 tackles, 2 assists, and added one stop. In the secondary Stephens IV forced no pass breakups, no interceptions, and gave up a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 118.8.
In 2021 as a senior Stephens IV saw action in 8 games while playing 449 snaps. He logged 27 tackles, 9 assists, and made 5 stops. In coverage Stephens IV had one pass breakup, no interceptions, and surrendered QB rating when targetted of 97.7.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Stephens IV saw action in 12 games while playing 562 snaps. He logged 31 tackles, 12 assists, and made 4 stops. In coverage Stephens IV had one pass breakup, no interceptions, and surrendered QB rating when targetted of 110.4.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Fluid mover with decent speed and his length allows him to cover effectively downfield
- Trusts his eyes with very good awareness. Has very good reaction skills to break quickly on the ball.
- Takes accurate angles to the ballcarrier. A strong, aggressive tackler and doesn't back down against the run.
- Has quick feet and excellent change-of-direction ability, capable of mirroring quickness underneath.
- Strong hands to make plays on the ball, effective blitzer who shows well-coached technique and awareness.
- Tracks the ball well and has the natural ball skills for forcing turnovers.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has a high backpedal and loses a step in transition. Plays with adequate speed but there are concerns about his ability to handle the truly explosive speedsters of the NFL.
- Has poor recognition skills when facing the action in zone coverage.
- Gets sloppy with his backpedal when playing off-man and seems to lack the instincts to close on the ball.
How other scouting services rate Steve Stephens IV (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank