Drafted: ROUND: 3 - Pick Number: 78 (GB)
Draft Profile: BioTucker Kraft was a standout in all three phases of the game at Timber Lake High School, seeing action primarily at running back, middle linebacker, and punter where he rushed for 1,405 yards and 24 touchdowns as a senior. He went pretty much unnoticed by the major recruiting services. After high school opted to join to stay local and join South Dakota State.
In 2020 as a freshman Kraft saw action in 7 games for the Jackrabbits as he made 7 receptions for only 90 yards for an average of 12.9 yards per reception.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played 15 games and had an impressive 65 catches for 770 yards for an average of 11.8 yards per catch, with 6 TDs, and an elite QB rating when targeted of 129.4. In pass protection, he gave up 3 pressures and no sacks.
As a junior in 2022 after suffering an injury played in just 6 games and hauled in 19 catches for 232 yards for an average of 12.2 yards per catch, with 2 TDs, and an elite QB rating when targeted of 134.7.
Honors & awards
- Athlon Sports FCS All-America Team (2021)\
- HERO Sports FCS All-America First Team (2021)
- Stats Perform FCS All-America First Team (2021)
- Associated Press FCS All-America Second Team (2021)
- HERO Sports Sophomore All-America Team (2021)
- All-Missouri Valley Football Conference First Team (2021)
- MVFC Honor Roll (2021)
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Kraft has soft hands and uses his frame effectively to shield defenders, making him a major threat in the red zone. He can also turn upfield and break a tackle.
- Excellent as both a run and pass blocker. Is a mauler in the run game and maintains a powerful wide base while in limited action as a pass blocker
- Has developed into a good athlete. Looked impressive at the combine where most of his measurables were in top 75th percentile
- He’s broad-shouldered, long-limbed and a smooth athlete who showed the ability to make plays downfield.
- Super versatile player - can line up inline, outside, and in the slot
- Very productive player - who until an injury in 2022 was a consistent major factor on offense
- Has much overall quickness than his time speed would suggest
- Kraft has an enormous catch radius and shows the ability to get low to dig out passes.
- Good effort at the point of attack and second level as a blocker. Intelligent and will quickly acclimate to an NFL offense.
- Good strength and effort to run through arm tackles.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has run a limited route tree at South Dakota and routes he does run are too often rounded
- Too often blocks too high and lets defenders under his pads and win the leverage battle
- While his hands are pretty good he suffers from concentration drops due to turning and running before securing
- He isn’t going to overwhelm opposing defensive backs with elite speed and athleticism.
- Kraft really isn’t a burner and doesn’t have elite suddenness and will struggle quickly making sharp cuts
Scouting Report: SummaryTucker Kraft is a very solid pro-tight-end prospect. He has good measurables which were showcased in the combine drills, a very productive college playing history, decent but not great hands, and has also proved to be a major contributor as a blocker. He doesn't come without reservation, however - as he still looks a little raw and has managed to get things done at the college level mainly through athletic ability rather than technique. Something he will not be able to do at the pro level.
Kraft has eventual starting potential at the next level and currently looks like a third or fourth-round selection in the 2023 NFL draft.
Tucker Kraft percentiles vs other Tight End's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
Tucker Kraft Three Minute Video Review
Courtesy of NFL Draft Buzz contributor Steven Wright
How other scouting services rate Tucker Kraft (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank