Draft Profile: BioSam LaPorta from Highland High School was rated a 3 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, LaPorta opted to join Iowa.
In 2019 as a freshman LaPorta saw action in 12 games for the Hawkeyes as he made 15 receptions for 188 yards for an average of 12.5 yards per reception, with no TDs, and a QB rating when targeted of 98.9. As a blocker he allowed no pressures and no sacks.
As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 8 games and had 27 catches for 271 yards for an average of 10.0 yards per catch, with one TD, and a QB rating when targeted of 55.6. In pass protction he gave up 2 pressures and no sacks. As a pass blocker he gave up one pressure and no sacks.
As a junior in 2021 he played in 14 games and hauled in 53 catches for 670 yards for an average of 12.6 yards per catch, with 3 TDs, and a QB rating when targeted of 93.1.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Good quickness off the snap. Has good speed for the position to attack the seam. Shows burst out of his breaks to gain separation.
- Capable of tracking passes from many angles. Good sideline awareness, taps quick feet to stay in-bounds.
- Runs precise routes with mostly crisp cuts. Very difficult to cover, gets separation consistently.
- Has the burst off the snap to be split out wide in the NFL
- Has good hand-eye coordination and body control to turn and adjust to poorly thrown balls.
- Short with short arms for an NFL tight end. Has enough upper-body strength to fight initial jam at the line of scrimmage and has the speed and athleticism to burn defenders challenging him.
- Soft hands. Flashes good to very good tracking and overall body control to make catches outside of his frame.
- Good burst off the snap, quick hands and good balance to gain a clean release.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- High cut frame and limited power in hands prevent a top blocking grade.
- Is a bit high-hipped and slow to get rolling. Frame limits upside as a blocker.
How other scouting services rate Sam LaPorta (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank