Drafted: ROUND: 2 - Pick Number: 35 (LV)
Draft Profile: BioMichael Mayer from Covington Catholic High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. He was selected as the 2019 Gatorade Kentucky Football Player of the Year and took part in the 2020 U.S. Army All-America Bowl. Mayer he was also a two-way player who earned accolades as a top-50 recruit nationally before joining to the Irish.
In 2020 as a freshman Mayer saw action in 12 games for the Fighting Irish as he made 42 receptions for 450 yards for an average of 10.7 yards per reception, with 2 TDs, and a QB rating when targeted of 97.4. As a blocker, he allowed no pressures and no sacks.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played 12 games and had an elite 71 catches for 840 yards for an average of 11.8 yards per catch, with 7 TDs, and an impressive QB rating when targeted of 112.6. In pass protection, he gave up no pressures and no sacks. As a pass blocker he gave up one pressure and one sack.
As a junior in 2022 he played 12 games and hauled in 67 catches for an impressive 809 yards for an average of 12.1 yards per catch, with 9 TDs, and a QB rating when targeted of 103.9.
Honors & awards
- Phil Steele All-American Fourth Team
- Phil Steele All-Independent First Team
- Associated Press Third Team All-American
- John Mackey Award Semifinalist
- John Mackey Tight End of the Week (Week 2)
- Biletnikoff Award Watch List
- John Mackey Award Watch List
- The Athletic Freshman All-America First Team
- All-ACC Third Team
- All-ACC Academic Team
- Phil Steele All-ACC Fourth Team
- 247Sports True Freshman All-America Team
- Pro Football Focus Team of the Week at Pitt (10/24)
- FWAA Freshman All-American Watch List
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Mayer fights his way off the line of scrimmage against press coverage, showing quick, violent hands and good balance.
- Mayer plays with smoothness and balance, and Mayer shows a knack for setting up defensive backs.
- Good quickness off the snap. Has good speed for the position to attack the seam. Shows burst out of his breaks to gain separation.
- Knee-bend and technique are good and he shows decent power when his hands hit the target.
- Has the burst off the snap to be split out wide in the NFL
- The best blocking Tight end in this year's class
- Mayer has soft hands and excellent ball skills
- He effortlessly catches the football away from his frame
- Mayer releases from in-line alignments effectively
- He has a well-rounded set of tools as a pass catcher
- Possesses mismatch size and is adept at going up to make contested catches
- He high points the ball well and has strong hands to control the ball while getting hit
- Mayer has a nose for the end zone and should be an asset in the red zone
- He has a nice feel as a route runner and knows how to separate
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Athletic profile limiting factor - Lacks Run-Away Athlete Speed
- Nightmare to fight at catch point
- Functional strength is good but not dominant
- Blocking technique not always clean
- Not likely to win foot races with defensive backs
- Does not have an expansive route tree
Player ComparisonMark Andrews
Scouting Report: SummaryMayer is a good athlete, with quickness, size, and natural instincts who is also hard to bring down in the open field and is also an elite blocker. He's been Nicknamed "Baby Gronk" since his freshman year, and while NFL teams may hope he's Gronk 2.0 we think he's probably closer to Baltimore's Mark Andrews. He has an excellent overall technique and there is zero wasted motion in his game. He is sure to be an asset to whichever team drafts him as he has a super high floor - a pretty much can't-miss prospect and a likley first-round selection in the 2023 NFL Draft.
Michael Mayer percentiles vs other Tight End's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
Update - 04/21/2023At the combine, Mayer caught the ball well but did not test off the charts, which was predicted. His forty was good (4.70) but his vertical was in the 44th percentile and his broad jump was in the 69th percentile which was much worse than expected. Maybe the name Baby Gronk name is misplaced?
Michael Mayer Three Minute Video Review
Courtesy of NFL Draft Buzz contributor Steven Wright
How other scouting services rate Michael Mayer (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank