Draft Profile: BioAvery Young attended Coatesville Area High School and was rated a 3-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.840, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, Young opted to join Rutgers.
In 2018 as a freshman Young saw action in 12 games and played a total of 835 snaps at cornerback for the Scarlet Knights. He recorded decent 52 tackles, 10 assists, while adding 16 stops. In coverage Young notched up 7 pass breakups, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 105.9.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 12 games and logged 700 snaps for the Scarlet Knights. He made 26 tackles, 6 assists, and had 14 stops. In coverage he totaled 4 pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 110.5.
In 2020 as a junior Young played in 9 games and contributed on 681 snaps. He chalked up 37 tackles, 19 assists, and added 12 stops. In the secondary Young forced one pass breakup, no interceptions, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 114.9.
In 2021 as a senior Young saw action in 12 games while playing 728 snaps. He logged decent 71 tackles, 10 assists, and made 24 stops. In coverage Young had one pass breakup, one interception, and surrendered a QB rating when targetted of 71.4.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Young saw action in 12 games while playing 825 snaps. He logged decent 66 tackles, 10 assists, and made 15 stops. In coverage Young had 3 pass breakups, one interception, and surrendered a QB rating when targetted of 91.6.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Flashes good ball skills. Young has the fluidity and change-of-direction ability to mirror quicker receivers underneath.
- Has the fluidity, speed and quick feet to come down and defend slot receivers in man coverage. Young also does a nice job breaking down in space as a tackler after the catch.
- Fluid mover with decent speed and his length allows him to cover effectively downfield
- He’s also very good in zone coverage, showing a great understanding of routes and the ability to close quickly.
- Closes to the ball quite well and possesses the hands to snatch throws away from his frame.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Not an explosive player and needs to show better bend and flexibility in his drops - plays too high.
- Isn’t great in route recognition when he’s facing the action, is hesitant and susceptible to double moves, and too often gets unnecessarily handsy when playing trail position
- Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
- Has tense ankles and hips with choppy footwork when attempting to redirect and doesn't always look natural changing directions.
Avery Young percentiles vs other Safety's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Avery Young (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank