Draft Profile: BioByron Young from West Jones High School was rated a 4 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Young opted to join Alabama.
In 2019 as a freshman Young saw action in 13 games and played on a total of 282 snaps for the Crimson Tide. He recorded 13 tackles, 8 assists, while adding 9 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 5 total pressures, which included 4 QB hurries, no QB hits, and one sack on the season.
As a sophomore for the Crimson Tide in 2020 Young played in 13 games and took part on 297 snaps for the Crimson Tide. He recorded 19 tackles, 7 assists, while adding 16 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 11 total pressures, and 7 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and one sack during the year.
In 2021 as a junior Young played in 15 games and contributed on 399 snaps. He recorded 23 tackles, 13 assists, while making 20 stops. As a pass rusher, he produced 12 total pressures, which included 7 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 2 sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Strength gives ends a chance to twist inside and linebackers free lane to the passer on blitzes.
- Plays with leverage at the point of attack whether inside or outside. Keeps eyes in the backfield when inside; moves linemen to either side with strong hands.
- Can make the impressive chest-to-chest bear hug tackle in the hole due to his ability to wreak havoc in the backfield.
- Strong tackler. Has good power in hands and can anchor, shed, and chase.
- Played with lean and leverage against the run, tough for one man to move (sometimes double-teams, too).
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Average athletically with average straight line speed and tight hips. Not a natural bender. Lacks secondary pass-rush moves.
- Must improve hand use and read-and-react skills. Lacks the violent hands to shed and can be eliminated by double-team blocks.
How other scouting services rate Byron Young (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank