Draft Profile: BioReggie Roberson Jr. as a high school senior caught 60 passes for 1,060 yards and 11 touchdowns, averaged 17.7 yards per catch, and also added more than 800 return yards. He was rated a three-star prospect and accepted a scholarship to West Virginia, but after a year of not being involved in the offense he transferred to SMU.
As a sophomore in 2018, Robertson saw action in 10 games, starting seven - he made 52 catches for 802 yards and six touchdowns. He also had five kick returns for 206 yards and one touchdown (ranked 6th NCAA, 2nd AAC) .
In 2019 he started all eight games played before being sidelined due to injury and finished the year being second on the team with 43 receptions for 803 yards and six touchdowns.
As a senior in 2020, he played in four before being hit with an injury again - in that brief spell he had 22 catches for 474 yards and five TDs. Roberson finally had an injury-free season in 2021 where he started all 12 games and registered 51 catches for 625 yards and six TDs with was ranked 9th in the AAC.
As a result he was handed an NFL Combine Invite, a Senior Bowl Invite, put on the Maxwell Award Watch List, the Biletnikoff Award Watch List, and the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Watch List.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Does a nice job locating and tracking deep passes and is a legitimate vertical threat. Explosive off the line of scrimmage - DBs need to keep a big cushion
- Is an outstanding route runner, especially on intermediate and deep routes
- Has shown elite speed prior to his ACL injuries - and has recorded a 4.42 40 at the SMU pro day and a 31.5 vertical in March 2022
- When healthy has consistently proved to be a game-breaker and a quality deep threat
- Adds versatility and an extra dimension on special teams - where he can be outstanding as both a punt and kick returner
- Has a knack for getting open and is a quarterback's best friend - passers just need to toss the ball in his area and he'll come down with it.
- Strong runner with the ball with enough agility to make defenders miss in the open field.
- Has very good straight-line speed and takes advantage of open seams when his quarterback is on target.
- Balanced, savvy route runner with top field awareness, setting up and selling routes beautifully.
- Often used on deep routes, getting separation down the sideline or over the middle on crossing routes by extending his arms rather than pure speed.
- A versatile weapon, proving to be effective inside in the slot and outside on the perimeter. Makes plays at all levels of the field.
- Generally reliable receiver capable of making difficult catches in traffic over the middle or one on one down the sideline
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Not strong and doesn't always fight the ball in contested catch situations
- Comes off the snap high and upright, and doesn't get to top speed quickly. Not sudden or elusive.
- Has been very injury prone - In 2021 Roberson didn’t look as explosive after back-to-back ACL injuries, including a torn ACL in 2020. Will need to check out medically
- Has only run a limited route tree so will likely need time to develop in the pro game
Scouting Report: SummaryThere is no doubting Reggie Roberson's talent, he has good size, elite speed, and agility with nice soft hands combined with a high football IQ. He however is a major medical risk and looked like a shadow of his former self in 2021 - following an ACL injury. If he had avoided injuries Roberson has the talent to be viewed as a first or second-round selection, however, his draft demand will be almost entirely determined by how teams view his long-term recovery from injuries. If he can recapture his 2020 pre-injury form expect him to become a pro-bowl selection in the NFL, if not he could be out of the league a couple of years from now.
Expect Roberson to be taken anywhere from the third to the sixth round in the 2022 NFL Draft depending on how risk-averse teams are.
Reggie Roberson Jr. percentiles vs other Wide Receiver's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Reggie Roberson Jr. (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank