Draft Profile: BioMario Goodrich played both defensive back and wide receiver at Lee’s Summit West High School. He had 140 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 11 interceptions, five for touchdowns, and 24 pass breakups in his career. He was rated No. 99 player in the nation by Rivals, No. 114 player by 247Sports, No. 133 player by PrepStars, and No. 148 player by ESPN, and given a four-star grade as a result. He joined Clemson after being heavily recruited by a number of big schools.
After playing sparingly in 2018 Goodrich saw significant playing time in 2019 as a sophomore. He was credited with 13 tackles (0.5 for loss) and two pass breakups in 205 snaps over 13 games.
In 2020 he started four games and played in eight games and logged 16 tackles, two interceptions, a fumble recovery, and a pass breakup in 237 snaps.
Goodrich's senior year in 2021 was by far his best yet. He received a first-team All-ACC selection, as he and Andrew Booth Jr. swept first-team honors at cornerback after he chalked up 48 tackles, nine pass breakups, two interceptions, a forced fumble, and most impressively a 49.0 QB rating when targeted - over 561 defensive snaps in 12 starts.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Very physical in coverage who is suited as an outside corner - gets a good jam and runs well without hesitation
- Smart player who is always aware where the first down marker is - high football IQ
- Good agility and balance when shadowing his target. Competitive player.
- Plays the ball as if it was thrown for him, showing burst back to the ball as well as good timing for the jump ball.
- Decent not elite straight-line speed and good balance, fluidity to change direction.
- Excellent in the run game - hits surprisingly hard considering his size and has the ability to bring bigger backs down
- Wide receiver in high school and it shows - has excellent hands and is a playmaker with the ball
- Changes directions with ease and has the frame to hold up at any spot in the secondary.
- Should excel as a zone defender due to his excellent instincts and anticipation in coverage
- Has the length you look for in an outside corner - and has the versatility to be looked at at safety
- Good instincts and anticipation reads and reacts with discipline and doesn't bite on fakes
- Alert defender for zone coverage, showing a good understanding of route progressions occurring behind him and a quick burst downhill to break on underneath passes in front of him.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Doesn't have top-level deep speed - ran a 4.52 at the combine and weighed in at only 176 lbs. Will likely struggle against the elite deep threat receivers in the NFL
- Is a bit stiff hipped and can struggle in transition from backpedal to running deep
- Receivers can arm-bar downfield to create separation..
- Had only one year of top-level play while at Clemson - was distinctly average until 2021 when he significantly improved his game
- Good not great lateral agility and is not always well balanced when shadowing the runner
- Better in man coverage on short and medium routes - needs help deep
- NFL quarterbacks may take advantage of his aggressiveness in man to eye up short routes and go over the top
Scouting Report: SummaryMario Goodrich is a good pro prospect, he's got ideal length, is physical, an excellent tackler, has nice coverage instincts and mirrors receivers well, he however has a slight frame and so may need to put on weight to stay injured free. He also doesn't have the elite speed you look for in a top corner - despite that, we think he has the skills to be a starter at the next level given he's not thrown in right away.
Pro teams should seriously look at drafting Goodrich with a view to converting him to free safety - he, at least to us looks more suited to that role and has more upside than the majority of the safety prospects in this year's class.
Expect Goodrich to hear his name called in the middle of the fourth round of the 2022 NFL Draft.
Mario Goodrich percentiles vs other Cornerback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Mario Goodrich (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank