Drafted: ROUND: 3 - Pick Number: 71 (CHI)
Draft Profile: BioVelius Jones made the USA Today All-Alabama first team, the AL.com Super All-State first team, the Alabama Sportswriters Association All-State Class 6A first-team, and All-Coastal Alabama first team as a senior wide receiver at Saraland High School. As a result, was highly recruited and handed a four-star grade by ESPN. He opted for USC over a number of potential suitors.
He redshirted his first year in 2016 and in 2017 Jones saw action in all 14 games as a backup wide receiver and USC’s main kick returner.
As a redshirt Sophomore in 2018, he played time at wide receiver and kick returner - started four times and notched 24 receptions for 266 yards (11.1 avg) with one touchdown.
In 2019 Jones played in 12 games with two starts and returned 29 kickoffs for 704 yards and a TD. He Averaged 24.28 yards per kick return, which ranked third in the Pac-12.
He transferred to Tennesse in 2020 and had six starts at WR. Jones ranked third on the team in receptions (22) and receiving yards (280) while finishing second on the team in receiving touchdowns (3). He led the SEC in kickoff return yards (398) and was second in the league in kickoff return average (22.11).
In 2021 as a redshirt senior Jones became the only player in football with over 800+ receiving yards, 200+ punt return yards, and 600+ kickoff return yards. At the season's end, he earned a Reese’s Senior Bowl All-American, an All-SEC First Team, and the 2021 SEC Co-Special Teams Player of the Year award
On the year he caught 62 passes (10th in school history) for 807 yards and seven scores. His 1,722 all-purpose yards ranked third in the SEC and his 132.5 all-purpose yards per game was second in the SEC
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Fits a zone system, can sift through oncoming traffic and explode through tiny creases and cutback lanes. Elite, darting stop-and-go acceleration with elite track speed. Dangerous in the open field.
- An amazing kick-punt returner who could be drafted as a special teamer
- Has decent hands any NFL wide receiver coach and quarterback would covet. He tracks the deep ball over either shoulder and brings in passes easily.
- Plays fast and confident. Covers a lot of ground in the short half of the field and is slippery after the catch.
- Has rare suddenness with lightning footwork to create in tight areas with elusive shiftiness and change-of-direction skills.
- An impressive athlete with very quick acceleration to reach his top speed quickly and stretch the field. Very good body control and smooth movements. Plays fast and explosive.
- Does a nice job locating and tracking deep passes and is a legitimate vertical threat. Willing to go up and attack the ball.
- Good effort and technique as a blocker for his size. Can beat the press with elusiveness or physical contact. Runs crisp routes with sharp cuts.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Does not always use his hands to secure deep throws, allowing the ball into his pads and chest.
- A very old player who will be 25 by the time he takes the field in the NFL
- Has a very limited route tree and the routes he did run were often rounded
- Has had very limited production as a receiver throughout his college career - with the exception of 2021
- Has only really played in the slot and has very little experience out wide
- Not a great catch radius and his football IQ is not as high as you would like
- Runs with a weird kind of stutter-step that makes his less fluid
- Only offers an impact as a gadget player and a deep threat
Scouting Report: SummaryVelus Jones is an overaged prospect who offers help to a team as both a WR and kick returner. As a returner he is elite and will likely make an impact early, however, he is somewhat limited as a wide receiver where he is very raw and only really offers anything as a deep threat and as a speed threat in the screen game.
He's probably going to be over-drafted due to his ridiculous combine forty of 4.31 secs - but we rate him as a late-round prospect in the 2022 NFL Draft who could make an impact on special teams.
How other scouting services rate Velus Jones Jr. (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank