Draft Profile: BioClarence Lewis from Mater Dei High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Lewis opted to join Notre Dame.
In 2020 as a freshman Lewis saw action in 11 games and played a total of 421 snaps at cornerback for the Fighting Irish. He recorded 30 tackles, 3 assists, while adding 8 stops. In coverage Lewis notched up 7 pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 100.0.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 13 games and logged 832 snaps for the Fighting Irish. He made 49 tackles, 7 assists, and had 13 stops. In coverage he totaled 3 pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 104.9.
In 2022 as a junior Lewis played in 12 games and contributed on 337 snaps. He chalked up 23 tackles, 4 assists, and added 8 stops. In the secondary Lewis forced 3 pass breakups, one interception, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 113.8.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Good instincts and anticipation reads and reacts with discipline. Dangerous with the ball in his hands.
- Plays the ball as if it was thrown for him, showing burst back to the ball as well as good timing for the jump ball.
- Instinctive, adept at reading routes and anticipating throws, and strong in zone coverage.
- Has the fluidity, speed and quick feet to come down and defend slot receivers in man coverage. Lewis also does a nice job breaking down in space as a tackler after the catch.
- Attacks the ball with authority, with quick read-and-react ability. Willing and physical tackler, flashes toughness and aggressive nature vs. the run.
- Tracks the ball well and has the natural ball skills for forcing turnovers.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Susceptible to double moves, though that could be coached out of him. But the problem is that Lewis doesn’t track the ball downfield, and he seems to lack the ball skills to break up plays.
- Despite his size, he’s not an overly physical tackler. Lewis might have to add some weight at the next level in order to become more physical.
- Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
Clarence Lewis percentiles vs other Cornerback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Clarence Lewis (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank