Draft Profile: BioEmeka Egbuka from Steilacoom High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports after totaling 199 catches for 3,907 yards and 61 touchdowns at high school. Following high school, Egbuka opted to join Ohio State after receiving an array of offers from multiple big schools.
In 2021 as a freshman Egbuka saw action in just 8 games for the Buckeyes in a crowded wide receiver group but still managed to make 9 receptions for 191 yards in very limited action
As a sophomore in 2022 he exploded - in 12 games he made 74 catches for 1151 yards for an average of 15.6 yards per catch, with 10 TDs, and an excellent QB rating when targeted of 129.1.
Honors & awards
- Ranked third in the Big Ten in receptions, yards and touchdowns and was named second-team all-Big Ten
- A 2022 finalist for the Paul Hornung Award
- Earned Freshman All-America status by Pro Football Focus
- The 2019 Gatorade Player of the Year is the state of Washington
- Helped Steilacoom reach the 2A state championship game where he set a title-game record with 18 receptions for 163 yards and three touchdowns to go along with eight tackles and an interceptions
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Protypical size height speed prospect who has proved to be super productive both at Ohio State playing against elite competition
- He’s extremely competitive, an aggressive, violent runner after the catch with the ability to break a tackle. He’s a contributor as a blocker in the run game.
- Has good body strength to squirm out of tackles with the coordination to maneuver his frame between defenders.
- Egbuka has excellent speed, running a 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds at the All-American Combine in 2019 - the best in class. Could easily now be in contention for the fastest receiver in the entire class
- A very useful blocker - who is a major asset in the running game
- A versatile weapon, a smooth route runner who makes sharp disciplined cuts. Consistently makes plays at all levels of the field.
- Has experience playing corner at high school - giving him an instinctive feel to beat DB's
- An impressive athlete with very quick acceleration to reach his top speed quickly and stretch the field. Very good body control and smooth movements. Plays fast and explosive.
- Has rare suddenness with lightning footwork to create in tight areas with elusive shiftiness and change-of-direction skills.
- His long arms allow him to play bigger than his size and has a frame that can carry a little more weight
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Given his prototypical size-speed combination he has not shown he can win on the outside against man coverage. Will need to prove he can become a more complete player to be a super high selection
- Has the ability to track the ball downfield, but isn't great on contested catches
- Needs to develop more consistent has been plagued with concentration drops
Scouting Report: SummaryEmeka is a super-talented five-star prospect who possesses the size-speed combination you look for in an elite wide receiver. As well as the obvious tangibles he has also consistently put up huge nuge numbers both at high school and at Ohio State. In 2023 playing opposite Marvin Harrison he'll be given more of an opportunity to play on the outside and attempt to prove he can win in a Z-role. If in 2023 he can continue to put up the huge numbers we've come to expect from Emeka - he'll be a top-ten selection in the 2024 NFL draft.
How other scouting services rate Emeka Egbuka (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank