- An aggressive run defender, filling run lanes hard, and won't shy from contact. Plays with violence to fight off blocks, flashing a physical nature. An intense, powerful hitter who willingly gives up his body.
- Intelligent player who can play "MIKE" linebacker despite his lack of size because of his instincts and ability to find the ball in traffic.
- Good key and diagnosis skills. Quickly locates the ball and shows no wasted motion in getting there. At least adequate lateral agility to avoid blockers and shows good vision and anticipation.
- A bit stiff but makes the clean open-field tackle. Good effort in pursuit.
- Can be too hesitant when he doesn't find the ball immediately.
- Doesn't have enough speed, power or bulk to fit any LB position perfectly in the NFL.
- One-speed player, lacking dynamic qualities and doesn't look natural in reverse. Lacks the fluidity to be consistent dropping against the pass with unpolished cover skills.
- Saught looking into the backfield occasionally instead of getting to the receiver in the flat. Leaves his feet at times while tackling, and NFL backs will take advantage of that.
- Relies on effort and intensity rather than elite agility, power or closing speed.
How other scouting services rate JJ Russell (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank