Draft Profile: BioJalen Catalon attended Mansfield Legacy High School and was rated a 4 star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.900, going unranked by ESPN Following high school, Catalon opted to join Arkansas.
In 2019 as a freshman Catalon saw action in 3 games and played on a total of 33 snaps for the Razorbacks. He recorded 4 tackles, 2 assists, while adding 2 stops. In coverage Catalon notched up one pass break up, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of .0.
As a sophomore for the Razorbacks in 2020 Catalon played in 10 games and took part on 712 snaps for the Razorbacks. He made 75 tackles, 24 assists, and had 19 stops. In coverage Catalon totaled 5 pass break ups, 3 interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 83.8.
In 2021 as a junior Catalon played in 6 games and contributed on 391 snaps. He chalked up 36 tackles, 11 assists, and added 9 stops. In the secondary Catalon forced 3 pass break ups, 2 interceptions, and gave up a QB rating when targetted of 21.7.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Flashes impressive closing speed when attacking the ball.
- Aware in the red zone, stays on the back line to take away fade throws. Capable of making quarterbacks pay for late throws.
- Twitchy player with fluid hips, shows short-area quickness able to cover well in man-to-man coverage against slot receivers
- Good instincts and anticipation reads and reacts with discipline. Dangerous with the ball in his hands.
- Smart player who understands the nuances of coverage schemes
- Closes to the ball quite well and possesses the hands to snatch throws away from his frame.
- Really solid tackler and doesn't get run through by RBs
- Very solid in coverage and has shown the ability to outmuscle receivers for the ball
- Aware zone cornerback who is also adept in man coverage, flashing physical hand punch at the line and straight-line speed to stay with receivers downfield.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has tense ankles and hips with choppy footwork when attempting to redirect and doesn't always look natural changing directions.
- Lacks ideal size and is quite short for the safety spot.
- The 2018 injury may be a question mark for NFL teams - missed nearly the entire senior year with an ACL tear
- Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
- Needs to tighten his angles in pursuit. Needs to show better tackling technique to consistently finish.
- Has a high backpedal and loses a step in transition. Plays with adequate speed but there are concerns about his ability to handle the truly explosive speedsters of the NFL.
- Quite inexperienced - has played only 19 games as of writing
Scouting Report: SummaryBefore the 2021 season Catalon was a slam dunk first-round pick in our mind - he'd put up great numbers while consistently dominating and improving each and every season. Then came 2021 where he's looked a little off and has been less fluid and instinctive than in previous seasons.
There is also an injury issue with Catalon which is magnified by the fact he's a bit of a thumper and undersized for the position - which will make NFL teams slightly wary of taking him with a super high pick. However, we think 2021 was probably the exception and he should he be able to recapture his 2020 form so long as he's not rushed into action too soon.
He's likely viewed as a low second-round pick come the 2023 NFL Draft.
How other scouting services rate Jalen Catalon (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank