- Good instincts and anticipation reads and reacts with discipline. Dangerous with the ball in his hands.
- Aware in the red zone, stays on the back line to take away fade throws. Capable of making quarterbacks pay for late throws.
- Closes to the ball quite well and possesses the hands to snatch throws away from his frame.
- Aware zone cornerback who is also adept in man coverage, flashing physical hand punch at the line and straight-line speed to stay with receivers downfield.
- Only average size for the position.
- Has a high backpedal and loses a step in transition. Plays with adequate speed but there are concerns about his ability to handle the truly explosive speedsters of the NFL.
- Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
- Has tense ankles and hips with choppy footwork when attempting to redirect and doesn't always look natural changing directions.
- Lacks the recovery speed to catch receivers if he waits for them to arrive.
How other scouting services rate Jalen Catalon (Overall Rank)