Signed as an undrafted free agent by Detroit Lions
- Solidly built with good overall size and bulk - has long arms and does a nice job extending to create a large catching radius.
- Goes up high for jump balls. Good flexibility and reach to snatch back-shoulder throws.
- Generally reliable receiver capable of making difficult catches in traffic over the middle or one on one down the sideline.
- Does not have exceptional straight-line speed but takes advantage of open seams when his quarterback is on target.
- Does not possess top breakaway speed, though he's rarely caught from behind.
- Inconsistent high-pointing passes. Allows too many throws into his body when facing the quarterback.
- Hands are good, not great. Will drop some easy balls and sometimes will body catch. Occasionally fails to high point.
- Comes off the snap high and upright, and doesn't get to top speed quickly. Not sudden or elusive.
- Not explosive coming out of his breaks.
- A straight-line athlete with only average speed, lacking the wheels to run away from anyone at the next level. Struggles separating in tight coverage.
How other scouting services rate Javon McKinley (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank