- Often used on deep routes, getting separation down the sideline or over the middle on crossing routes by extending his arms rather than pure speed.
- Plays fast and confident. Covers a lot of ground in the short half of the field and is slippery after the catch.
- Does not possess top breakaway speed, though he's rarely caught from behind.
- Does not have exceptional straight-line speed but takes advantage of open seams when his quarterback is on target.
- Has very good initial burst to beat coverage at the line of scrimmage with the quick-twitch moves to redirect in any direction and create separation.
- Will have limitations against physical cornerbacks because of his thin frame. If locked up at the line, he lacks the upper-body strength to fight off the press with his hands.
- Does not always use his hands to secure deep throws, allowing the ball into his pads and chest.
- Doesn't look like much physically with a smallish frame and little room to get much bigger
- NFL defenders may be able to knock him off his route because of his slight frame.
- Needs to refine his routes and become a better all-around receiver. Has some ball security concerns. Durability concerns because of his size.
How other scouting services rate JD Spielman (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank