Draft Profile: BioJalen Berger from Don Bosco Prep High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Berger joined Wisconsin.
In 2020 as a freshman Berger saw action in 4 games for the Badgers as he ran for a decent 301 yards on 60 attempts for a decent 5.0 yards per carry, with 2 TDs, with no fumbles. As a receiver he made only 2 receptions for 13 yards.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played just 3 games. and rushed for only 88 yards on 24 carries for only 3.7 ypc, with one TD, with no fumbles. In the passing game he pulled in only 2 receptions for 17 yards.
After the end of the year Berger transferred to Michigan State where as a junior Berger saw action in 12 games for the Spartans. He ran for a decent 678 yards on 148 attempts for a decent 4.6 ypc, with 6 TDs, with 2 fumbles. As a receiver he made a decent 19 receptions for 128 yards.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Not truly explosive, but possesses enough speed to beat linebacker to the edge.
- His passing game skills are strong. He’s a natural hands catcher who turns upfield quickly in the screen game, and Berger shows a great feel for setting up wheel routes.
- Doesn't possess elite breakaway speed, but is fast enough to gain yardage in chunks when he finds a seam.
- Berger does a nice job with recognition as a pass protector and gives good effort.
- He’s aggressive and willing, with more than enough size, when asked to chip block or pick up blitzers. He has the potential to be one of the league’s best in that area.
- He shows good vision and good explosion upfield once he plants his foot. Berger has lateral movement skills and enough speed to threaten big plays. He’s excellent in the passing game, capable of flexing out as a receiver and creating mismatches against linebackers, and he’s a solid back in the screen game.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Berger isn’t going to overwhelm opposing defensive backs with speed and athleticism.
- Berger sometimes get too upright and fails to run behind his pads.
- A tall, upright runner who lacks great power as a runner. Not a quick-twitch athlete and is forced to gear down too much. Not very loose throughout his frame; looks tight redirecting. Will dance and leave his feet instead of taking what's there.
How other scouting services rate Jalen Berger (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank