- Does not have exceptional straight-line speed but takes advantage of open seams when his quarterback is on target.
- Often used on deep routes, getting separation down the sideline or over the middle on crossing routes by extending his arms rather than pure speed.
- Good effort and technique as a blocker for his size. Can beat the press with elusiveness or physical contact. Runs crisp routes with sharp cuts.
- Very soft, natural hands to cleanly catch away from his frame. Concentration is excellent. Has the lateral agility and strength to get into and out of routes smoothly.
- Has a knack for getting open and is a quarterback's best friend - passers just need to toss the ball in his area and he'll come down with it.
- Does not possess top breakaway speed, though he's rarely caught from behind.
- He catches the ball with his large, soft hands and is tough. Deceptive jets and a smooth route runner.
- Inconsistent high-pointing passes. Allows too many throws into his body when facing the quarterback.
- Hands are good, not great. Will drop some easy balls and sometimes will body catch. Occasionally fails to high point.
- Does not own elite speed. Freezes at times when trying to juke defenders in space. Walls off his man as a blocker, allowing them to shed and make the play outside.
How other scouting services rate Ricky Smalling (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank