Draft Profile: BioSav'ell Smalls from Kennedy Catholic High School was rated a 5-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Smalls joined Washington after being heavily recruited.
In 2020 as a freshman Smalls saw action in 4 games and played a total of 139 snaps for the Huskies. He recorded only 4 tackles, 2 assists, while adding 3 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 4 total pressures, which included 4 QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Huskies in 2021 Smalls played in 12 games and took part in 240 snaps for the Huskies. He recorded only 9 tackles, 3 assists, while adding 6 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 9 total pressures, and 6 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and no sacks during the year.
In 2022 as a junior Smalls played in 12 games and contributed on 211 snaps. He recorded 10 tackles, 4 assists while making 7 stops. As a pass rusher, he produced 10 total pressures, which included 9 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Smalls displays good lateral movement skills, capable of working his way down the line with decent range when chasing in pursuit.
- Looks the part. Possesses a long, athletic build with room for additional muscle mass. Flashes a burst off the snap, good enough to cross the face of collegiate tackles and put him in position to make big plays behind the line of scrimmage.
- His handwork is excellent. He is tough against the run, playing with a firm base when setting the edge and showing the upper-body strength to stack and shed blockers.
- His fluidity and speed allow him to cover a lot of ground when dropping back into zone, and Smalls is capable of turning and running with tight ends.
- Smalls could fit as a 3-4 OLB, as he held his own when he was asked to drop into coverage at times.
- He’s explosive off the line of scrimmage, showing the quickness that sets blockers back on their heels.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- He’s going to struggle at the point of attack. As a pass rusher, Smalls lacks the ideal length to ward off blockers and too often allows linemen to get into his chest.
- Is still a bit raw as a pass rusher and needs to diversify his repertoire of pass-rush moves.
- Smalls remains a bit raw, as he is inconsistent with his hand use and lacks violence in his hands
How other scouting services rate Sav'ell Smalls (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank