Draft Profile: BioSav'ell Smalls from Kennedy Catholic High School was rated a 5-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Smalls joined Washington after being heavily recruited.
In 2020 as a freshman Smalls saw action in 4 games and played a total of 139 snaps for the Huskies. He recorded just 4 tackles, 2 assists, while adding 3 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 4 total pressures, which included 4 QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Huskies in 2021 Smalls played in 12 games and took part in 240 snaps for the Huskies. He recorded just 9 tackles, 3 assists, while adding 6 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 9 total pressures, and 6 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and no sacks during the year.
In 2022 as a junior Smalls played in 12 games and contributed on 211 snaps. He recorded 10 tackles, 4 assists while making 7 stops. As a pass rusher, he produced 10 total pressures, which included 9 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Has a filled-out frame with good thickness. Plays at full speed at all times with an active motor and determined quickness in pursuit.
- He’s very good in coverage when looking into the backfield in zone coverage.
- Tougher between the tackles than many expect. Fluid and quick drop into zone, covers enough ground to be Tampa-2 "MIKE" and knows where the markers are.
- Smalls explodes off the line of scrimmage, playing with a low pad level and violent hands. He converts speed to power effectively enough to put an offensive lineman into the QB’s lap.
- He’s outstanding on the blitz, showing initial burst and quickness with his first step, with the core strength to bounce off blocks and overpower backs in blitz pickup, closing fast on the quarterback.
- Smalls has value as an inside blitzer as well, showing the initial burst to shoot through gaps and disrupt the backfield.
- Good all-around athlete with very good short-area quickness and fluidity. Very good playing strength and has worked hard in the weight room, adding bulk and filling out his frame.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Possesses average instincts. More likely to make plays with quick reactions than by diagnosing.
- He’s very much a work in progress with his hand in the dirt. Smalls doesn’t play with ideal physicality, often failing to set the edge as a run defender.
- Smalls plays with poor anchor strength and too often fails to set the edge against bigger linemen.
How other scouting services rate Sav'ell Smalls (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank