Draft Profile: BioTonka Hemingway from Conway High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Hemingway joined South Carolina after being heavily recruited.
In 2020 as a freshman Hemingway saw action in 10 games and played a total of 329 snaps for the Gamecocks. He recorded 18 tackles, one assist, while adding 11 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 6 total pressures, which included 4 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and no sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Gamecocks in 2021 Hemingway played in 12 games and took part in 135 snaps for the Gamecocks. He recorded just 5 tackles, 2 assists, while adding 5 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 3 total pressures, and 2 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks during the year.
In 2022 as a junior Hemingway played in 12 games and contributed on 440 snaps. He recorded 18 tackles, 9 assists while making 17 stops. As a pass rusher, he produced 23 total pressures, which included 15 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and a solid 4 sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Flashes an explosive burst and can surprise better overall athletes with his ability to get upfield. Has a closing burst when given a free lane. Has the frame to consider moving inside
- Strong tackler. Has good power in hands and can anchor, shed, and chase.
- He’s a high-effort pass rusher who shows good initial quickness and the ability to beat blockers to the inside.
- High-effort, thickly built defender with good strength and the leverage to create a pile. Locates_ the ball quickly and pursues with passion, showing_ good lateral agility while extending the play to the sideline.
- His motor is excellent, and he’s quick to locate the ball and make plays against the run.
- Hemingway has the strong core and powerful hands to shed blockers, and Hemingway shows excellent instincts with the ability to quickly locate the ball.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Hemingway struggles to shed blockers and doesn’t show ideal lateral movement skills. He also needs to make better use of his length and hands in the pass rush.
- Might be limited to one-gap systems. Agility isn't a question but misses tackles when Hemingway doesn't square and break down.
- Hemingway doesn’t move well laterally and doesn’t have a lot of range when it comes to pursuing on the backside.
How other scouting services rate Tonka Hemingway (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank