Drafted: 2021: ROUND: 6 - Pick Number: 214 (GB)
- Has the feet to adjust when he anticipates what's coming. Effective trapping and bends at the knees with adequate core strength to absorb the bull rush. Can clear a path at the second level if he hits the target.
- Above-average football smarts and general intelligence. Plays with a nasty streak. Solid character and work ethic.
- Anchors against larger defenders in the middle; resets hands to maintain distance. Athletic enough to help on nose tackle then pick up twist or late blitzer. Mirrors quick interior rushers. Looks to help the center when uncovered.
- Awareness is above-average for his limited experience. Sells trap block and can turn to seal. Fluid getting to and adjust at the second level.
- Finishes and doesn't quit; competitor with a positive attitude and leadership traits that coaches admire.
- Attacks when necessary, though he won't consistently dominate and can lose balance overextending.
- Isn't an elite quick-twitch blocker and his height causes him to be out-quicked. Leaks inside pressure when his technique gets sloppy.
- Stops his feet after initial contact, relying on length but allowing defender to get the corner or spin inside.
- Needs to work on his technique in pass protection, using more consistent leverage and continuing to move his feet.
- Susceptible to speed rushers. Has only average quickness off the snap and doesn't possess the acceleration or arm length to corral defenders once they cross his face.
How other scouting services rate Cole Van Lanen (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank