Draft Profile: BioDavid Ugwoegbu from Seven Lakes High High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Ugwoegbu joined Oklahoma after being heavily recruited.
In 2019 as a freshman Ugwoegbu saw action in 13 games and played a total of 283 snaps at Edge Rusher for the Sooners. He recorded 20 tackles, one assist, while adding 14 stops. In coverage Ugwoegbu notched up one pass breakup, no interceptions, and an impressive QB rating when targetted of 66.7. As a pass rusher, he added 9 total pressures, which included 6 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and one sack on the season.
As a sophomore for the Sooners in 2020 Ugwoegbu played in 11 games and took part in 375 snaps for the Sooners. He recorded 26 tackles, 5 assists, while adding 15 stops. In coverage Ugwoegbu made no pass breakups, one interception, and an impressive QB rating when targetted of 63.7. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 12 total pressures, and 3 QB hurries, 7 QB hits, and 2 sacks during the year.
In 2021 as a junior Ugwoegbu played in 13 games and contributed on 402 snaps. He recorded 34 tackles, 12 assists while making 13 stops. In coverage Ugwoegbu chalked up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 95.8. As a pass rusher, he produced 3 total pressures, which included 2 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Shows toughness to get under the pads of tackles to bull them, club them upfield to get the inside lane, or fight through blocks for secondary rush when the passer steps up.
- Shows the closing burst and footwork to work well in tight areas.
- He’s a capable blitzer with the ability to close quickly. He’s also very good in coverage, rangy with good awareness in zone coverage, and fluid and fast enough to run with most tight ends.
- He’s a sure and violent wrap-up tackler with sideline-to-sideline range. He’s an excellent tackler in space, showing loose hips and the ability to break down and contain runners.
- Ugwoegbu has the size and strength to stack and shed blockers and is especially fierce when moving downhill against the run.
- He’s aggressive shooting gaps, redirecting downfield quickly and closing fast on the ball carrier. Ugwoegbu also has the ideal length and dip-and-bend ability to be a pass-rushing threat off the edge.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Plays too high when trying to set the edge. His motor is inconsistent.
- As a pass rusher, Ugwoegbu needs the scheme to create deception and confusion to give him a free run.
- Hips are a bit high, arms are long, and waist is narrow, which limits his ability to anchor and turn. Not much of a pass rusher if there is not an open lane.
How other scouting services rate David Ugwoegbu (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank