Draft Profile: BioDavid Ugwoegbu from Seven Lakes High High School was rated a 3 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Ugwoegbu opted to join Oklahoma.
In 2019 as a freshman Ugwoegbu saw action in 13 games and played on a total of 283 snaps for the Sooners. He recorded 20 tackles, one assist, while adding 14 stops. In coverage Ugwoegbu notched up one pass break up, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 66.7. As a pass rusher, he added 9 total pressures, which included 6 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and one sack on the season.
As a sophomore for the Sooners in 2020 Ugwoegbu played in 11 games and took part on 375 snaps for the Sooners. He recorded 26 tackles, 5 assists, while adding 15 stops. In coverage Ugwoegbu made no pass break ups, one interception, and a QB rating when targetted of 63.7. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 12 total pressures, and 3 QB hurries, 7 QB hits, and 2 sacks during the year.
In 2021 as a junior Ugwoegbu played in 13 games and contributed on 402 snaps. He recorded 34 tackles, 12 assists, while making 13 stops. In coverage Ugwoegbu chalked up no pass break ups, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 95.8. As a pass rusher, he produced 3 total pressures, which included 2 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Brings down quarterbacks much bigger than he is. Very good motor and regularly chases down plays from behind.
- Plays fast, flows with the action, showing smooth lateral agility and short-area burst. Has good instincts and awareness to quickly find the ball.
- Physical at the point of attack and works hard to shed blocks. Enjoys contact and is a forceful tackler. Effective blitzer with the speed to reach the backfield and create backside pressure.
- Displays nice agility and awareness in coverage. Has the size and speed to be effective rushing the passer.
- Downhill defender and physical tackler. Uses his eyes to decipher and break down the play, showing good awareness and discipline to sniff out fakes.
- Good closing speed with long arms to drag down quarterbacks and running backs.
- Has the combination of size and athleticism worthy of development.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Hits up high and misses more tackles than he should.
- Limited vision and is easily fooled by misdirection. Lacks range and lateral agility in coverage.
How other scouting services rate David Ugwoegbu (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank