Draft Profile: BioDavid Ugwoegbu from Seven Lakes High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Ugwoegbu joined Oklahoma.
In 2019 as a freshman Ugwoegbu saw action in 13 games and played a total of 283 snaps for the Sooners. He recorded 20 tackles, one assist, while adding 14 stops. In coverage Ugwoegbu notched up one pass breakup, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 66.7. As a pass rusher, he added 9 total pressures, which included 6 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and one sack on the season.
As a sophomore for the Sooners in 2020 Ugwoegbu played in 11 games and took part in 375 snaps for the Sooners. He recorded 26 tackles, 5 assists, while adding 15 stops. In coverage Ugwoegbu made no pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 63.7. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 12 total pressures, and 3 QB hurries, 7 QB hits, and 2 sacks during the year.
In 2021 as a junior Ugwoegbu played in 13 games and contributed on 402 snaps. He recorded 34 tackles, 12 assists while making 13 stops. In coverage Ugwoegbu chalked up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 95.8. As a pass rusher, he produced 3 total pressures, which included 2 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks on the year.
In 2022 as a senior Ugwoegbu logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 874 snaps for the Sooners. He also added decent 68 tackles, 25 assists, and 34 stops. While in coverage Ugwoegbu made no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 112.3. As a pass rusher, he tallied 12 total pressures, which included 7 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 2 sacks on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Ugwoegbu shows good speed and closing burst when blitzing.
- He has an explosive first step and has the fluidity, flexibility and core strength to chase through traffic and make plays.
- The talent is there as a sideline-to-sideline playmaker.
- He’s aggressive shooting gaps, redirecting downfield quickly and closing fast on the ball carrier. Ugwoegbu also has the ideal length and dip-and-bend ability to be a pass-rushing threat off the edge.
- Looks the part. Good height and a thick, muscular build. Long arms. Good overall athleticism and straight-line speed.
- He’s very good in coverage when looking into the backfield in zone coverage.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Attacks the line but needs work on stacking and shedding blocks.
- As a run defender, he’s too much of a grab-and-drag tackler, lacking violence and too frequently allowing running backs to escape.
- While Ugwoegbu moves well laterally, he doesn’t always get there in pursuit.
How other scouting services rate David Ugwoegbu (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank