- Gives effort between the tackles to find the ball and is willing to take on linemen.
- Downhill defender and physical tackler. Uses his eyes to decipher and break down the play, showing good awareness and discipline to sniff out fakes.
- Tougher between the tackles than many expect. Fluid and quick drop into zone, covers enough ground to be Tampa-2 "MIKE" and knows where the markers are.
- Reads the quarterback to anticipate and is a candidate to play outside.
- Reacts well to draw plays and misdirection, sniffs out screens to his side of the field. Keeps his eyes in the backfield when rushing the passer and uses hands and strength to stay in the play.
- Works hard to get better and gives top effort on every play. Heads-up defender who shows good field awareness.
- Combines very good instincts with above-average reaction skills. Almost always finds the ball in traffic.
- Quick to read run, showing good agility and speed to get past blockers and finish. Experienced in coverage and gets a strong jam on outside receivers.
- Chase speed is below average, and he gets too upright as a pass rusher - needs to play with better leverage.
- Hips are a bit high, arms are long, and waist is narrow, which limits his ability to anchor and turn. Not much of a pass rusher if there is not an open lane.
How other scouting services rate Carson Wells (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank