James Hudson, the 6-foot-5, 302-pound offensive left tackle garnered All-American Athletic Conference honors at Cincinnati in his only full season with the Bearcats, helping out the team to a No. 8 AP ranking and a 9-1 record. Hudson has been projected as a potential draft selection anywhere from the third or fourth round up to, in a best-case-scenario, a late first-round slot.
- Solid positional run blocker who flashes the nasty demeanor and killer instinct scouts covet.
- Has the feet to adjust when he anticipates what's coming. Effective trapping and bends at the knees with adequate core strength to absorb the bull rush. Can clear a path at the second level if he hits the target.
- Raw but athletic with big, strong hands and the potential to get substantially better with additional technique and strength training. .
- Dips shoulder and moves his feet to get outside leverage when needed. Strong and low coming out of his stance, effective in short-yardage situations.
- Awareness is above-average for his limited experience. Sells trap block and can turn to seal. Fluid getting to and adjust at the second level.
- Susceptible to speed rushers. Has only average quickness off the snap and doesn't possess the acceleration or arm length to corral defenders once they cross his face.
- Hudson is considered a developmental prospect high a high ceiling after only starting one season at Cincinnati.
- A short-area blocker with limited range and doesn't consistently get to the second level. Will play undisciplined at times, especially in space. Lacks a finishing attitude.
- Loses leverage battles and plays with high pad level. Can be late off the snap.
- He’s still very much in a developmental phase, but a high ceiling will likely push him up the draft board.
Hudson has been projected as a potential draft selection anywhere from the third or fourth round up to, in a best-case-scenario, a late first-round slot. We think he is far too raw for the first round but will probably not make it out of the second round.
OT James Hudson HT 6046 WT 313 Hand 10 5/8 Arm 32 7/8 Wing 80 7/8 40-yd 5.27/5.37 VJ 28.5 BJ 8-2 SS 4.79 3C 8.05 BP 22x